Wheel bearing or driveshaft ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

Wheel bearing or driveshaft ?

Post by mbunting »

Ax 1.5d 264,000 miles ( just run in [:D] )
Getting a rumbling noise from the wheels, very noisy excep when you slightly turn the wheel to the left, any more than slightly, and the noise returns.
At first I thought the noise was coming from the left, so tried replacing the bearing and ran into trouble, so replaced the entire strut.
Noise still there, and thousands of independant people have confirmed to me that the noise is from the right.
I've checked the steering rod & balljoint, they're snug as a bug with no movement.
There is a slight pulsating through the brakes at very low speed when stopping, like a warped disc - so I replaced the right disc with an ok used one ( one that was on my original left strut ), thinking I'd solved it ( as well as securing a loose arch liner panel ), I went for a short drive - problem still there ( but hey, I also fixed the indicator problem I've been having [;)] ).
The vibration starts at about 10mph, and continues in various severities right through the speed range, the whole body of the car vibrating in sympathy ( my teeth will be next ), braking DOES NOT reduce the vibration, but steering ever so slightly off-centre to the left does all but eliminate it - any more, and it comes back. Turn to the right, and it gets progressively worse.
The right strut is secure, the whole car moves when I pull and push the strut, and the wishbone goes up and down smoothly. Turning the driveshaft via the hub ( with no load ) doesn't feel rough at all.
I've tried to wobble the hub top to bottom - no movement, left to right - no movement ( except steering reaction )
I have recently had a new clutch - the noise existed before the clutch change ( previous one broke up ), and is actually worse now, and getting worse by the week.
The problem occurs with the engine off, in neutral, clutch in.
Basically, I'm now down to three things to replace:
1) The whole right strut - including wheel bearing and hub.
2) The right hand drive shaft.
3) The diff in the gearbox ( ie. replacement box ).
I'd be tempted to replace the right strut completely, but something is telling me that it could just be the driveshat ( no click on lock, and boots all ok ).
Any thoughts ?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Could be wheel bearing - if one of the races has gone (rough) turning the wheel slightly to one side could take the load off one of the races due to the wheel offset and it would run quiet - go a bit further and the top is under load and the noise returns. However brake application can make a difference as the pad pressure acts as a damper or alters the bearing load.
Another possibility is inner driveshaft joints - but I'd have thought that play would have been noticed when the clutch was changed. Its worth grabbing the joint and seeing if there is any play in either.
Differential/final drive would I'd have thought been very load sensitive and would therefor grumble on drive and go quiet on overrun for example. The differential gears will only come into action when the car turns unless the front tyres are different sizes.
Another possibility is a collapsed engine mount allowing the engine or some part or even the exhaust to touch the bodywork.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you could try just lift one front wheel off the ground slightly,choke rear wheels,start engine,put car in forward gear,bring clutch up gently,then increas revs gradgely,if no sign of noise try other side,then if still not prooved,only definet way is to remove drive shaft from hub and rotate drive flange by hand,if its a bearing you will certanly hear it
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The 'runbling' is almost certainly a wheel bearing. The noise will get louder when more weight is applied to that bearing, ie, when conering left the weight is thrown onto the RIGHT wheel bearing and vice versa. The vibration sounds like a wheel balance problem, if two wheels are slightly out of balance the imbalance will be in or out of phase, depending on the relative positions of the offending wheels and so can vary as you drive, not only changing when you corner, but as it is unlikely that both wheels are exactly the same diameter, they will go in and out of phase even in a straight line.
The only other possibilty is worn inner drive shaft bearings but they will normally cause a slight vibration on a long journey when they have got sufficiently hot to make the grease thin and then only on a high mileage car.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry, that should have been 'Rumbling'