Bad Vibrations - Oily end...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rashmore

Bad Vibrations - Oily end...

Post by rashmore »

Well things aren't looking too good...
Began journey home, v smokey and clattery. took it easy. Misfiring at certain revs, smell of burning oil, limp home, open bonnet to be met with oil sprayed everywhere [xx(]
Hmmm don't think a dodgy injector could have caused this ?
Will leave to cool, top up oil, start up and see where it is squirting out from in hope to diagnose/narrow down problem.
Any thoughts on where to look/what likely to be cause would be grateully received...
Rather it wasn't time for car heaven but may be looking for new car ...
Cheers
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rashmore</i>
oil sprayed everywhere [xx(]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Diesel or dirty engine oil????
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

black - looks like engine oil. now on min level, was showing 3/4 yesterday when checked.
sprayed from somewhere in centre at front judging by spray pattern - dipstick was still in oil filler cap, springs still on cap
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Has a fault developed in the oil filter ?
Brian
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

slight possibility that this could be a blown head-gasket around the oil pressure feed. The pressure oil feed to the head is in the corner nearest the front offside of the car, and it's not unknown for the gasket to fail there, and have high pressure oil squirting out from the head/block joint, onto the injection pump, and on to everywhere else.
Only other point on the front of the engine is the oil pressure switch, which is about 4" above the oil filter. These can split, and spray oil out from around the crimp between the outer metal and the plastic centre.
Edit: Thinking about this, if it's running that badly, and smoking, it is more likely to be the head gasket, which is also blowing oil into the no.4 cylinder (nearest the cambelt end).
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

cheers fastand furious.
yeah the head gasket has been at the bad of my mind for a while. has been pressurising coolant system a bit, but nothing major, slow water loss. has been using oil but nothing dramtaic. HG/coolant was tested for exhaust fumes and all clear.
Hmmm find donor engine or get this fixed is the next question - if that what it turns out to be - tools will be coming out today if rain stays off.
Thanks
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Its official - its dead.
Piston rings or something have gone, but one is definately down - time to look for donor......
[:(]
Cheers for previous help - at least i didn't replace all of the injectors.....