Xantia 1.9TD Stalling!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gjb02
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD Stalling!

Post by gjb02 »

I have searched for an answer on this one already, but had no definative reply to the problem.
The engine has a habit of occasionally stalling at junctions, coming off the motorway, when depressing the clutch on over-run.
The engine has done 184,000miles, it starts and runs fine, and just this little annoyance.
Should I check...
1. For air leaks.
2. The cold-start device.
3. The idle speed.
4. Anything else?????[:)]
Thankyou.
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

Actually, my 1.9TD recently stalled in a similar manner.
I think that I probably knocked the ignition key with my knee when releasing the accelerator. Just a thought.
Cheers,
Mark
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If it starts well and runs well when cold you can rule out air leaks or the cold start device. Is the idle speed correct? Is the fuel filter clean?
What year is your car? Has it got the mechanical or semi-electronic pump? What make of pump.
Do you keep a decent supply of fuel or is the yellow light permanently on?
Jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its a mechanical CAV pump, I believe they have an anti-stall adjustment, at least the old ones did. It should have two levers, one connected to the throttle cable and another with an adjustment on it, the anti-stall is set by varying the setting of the two, they will both affect tickover speed, so have to be adjusted together, only I cant remember which way round they work, you will have to experiment
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

PS. adjust one slightly and then adjust the other to regain the previous tickover speed, if you are going the right way, when you rev the engine it should take longer to slow down again.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I'd forgotten about that adjustment - details are set out in haynes Diesel engine manual.
Jeremy
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

It's a 1993 XUD9TE engine Bosch pump.
The fuel filter has been changed recently. Although I haven't checked for water since.
It's normally never down to the yellow warning light....lots of long journeys!!
I'll adjust the idle and the anti-stall and see how I get on..thanks for the help.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gjb02</i>

The engine has a habit of occasionally stalling at junctions, coming off the motorway, when depressing the clutch on over-run.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I had a BX diesel that used to do this. It started and ran fine in normal low-speed driving, but always stalled when slowing down on the sliproad after a long motorway run. I eventually traced it to an air leak in the fuel heater, bypassing the heater cured it completely.
It only seemed to suck air in when the engine was at high revs, and during a long motorway journey I think it gradually filled the filter housing up with air. Once the revs fell, it then sucked the air into the injector pump and stalled the engine.
The Xantia doesn't the same type of fuel heater as the early BXs, but it could be air getting in through the filter housing or a tiny hole in the fuel pipe perhaps.