ZX front nearside "growl"

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave1

ZX front nearside "growl"

Post by Dave1 »

Just when it was all going well I turned sharp left, accelerated and heard a growl. Initially thought it was the plastic wheel arch undercover catching the tire. It isn't. Took the wheel off, nothing is catching. It would therefore seem to be mechanical. Either a bearing or joint? It only happens when turning left, very obvious in low gear(2nd mostly)when acceletating and only in higher gears when cornering fast acceleratng out of the bend. Constant if you drive with almost full left lock in an empty car park.
No doubt it will get worse and become obvious but in the meantime, has anyone got any ideas. May want to sort it before winter sets in.
Dave
hardmanm

Post by hardmanm »

Are you absolutely sure its not a mud flap touching a wheel?
My Xantia used to do this
Even if the flaps seem to clear the wheels when stationary concerning can put enough load on to get the wheel to contact the flap.
Mark
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Definite, I don't have any. Good suggestion though.
handman

Post by handman »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Definite, I don't have any. Good suggestion though.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>sound like c/v joint to me
spanners

Post by spanners »

hard to interperate type of growl without seeing car but could it be worn gearbox mount causing gearbox or driveshaft to rub body or even exhaust downpipe rubbing common on 1.4 with bolt snapped in gearbox. just a thought.
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be having a look more deeply at what may be rubbing. Having a couple of suggestions always makes it more worthwhile. The noise is still there but I can now say that it seems to be when the car lifts on the nearside, ie, when accelerating in the bends. I also noticed a little judder today when setting off in first, nothing like a cv joint, more like you could get from a worn mounting. It wore off on the way to work? (Still here as well!) Perhaps just a coincidence. Will look at mountings etc.
Thanks
Dave
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Eureka
At last I have found the source without any expense. For those interested, I changed the front exhaust section in May. Fitted an Arvin (unaware this is a crappy Timax). The baffle rattled. Complained to the shop and advised them any Timax exhaust I have had was useless. Vauxhall broke, BX's middle baffle rattled. I insisted they change it for a Bosal. These are good but again on BX did not always fit well if using original other parts still on the car. Same thing for the ZX I discovered, but managed to get it more or less straight. However over time it has moved itself over to the right slightly and on bends it made the noise. I had the car on a ramp at the local garage who said it was unlikely to be the exhaust and neither could they find the souce of the noise. Hence I just listened over the month. My other option at the time was to get an andy spares exhaust. My choice was more convenient under the circumstances but has anyone had any issue with andyspares exhausts of this nature. It is a "CIA" or something like that I believe. I have recitfied the problem with a spacer. I may change the lot in summer. It is quite possible Bosal make PSA exhuasts apparently which is another reason I wanted it.
That's it anyway