cx versus xantia tyre blowout ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zorgman
My Cars:

cx versus xantia tyre blowout ??

Post by zorgman »

hi
years ago when i had my cx the advertising blurp on telly was that they drove a cx about on a roof and blew out the tyre and it still handled normal and i think one on a race track. now then does the xantia do the same thing, strange but it croossed my mind whilst blasting up motorway and a wagons tyre blew out in front.
anybody on this one then
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

It should do a very similar thing yes.
Best one was the GSA advert where the driver dived between 2 moving trucks with a few inches each side to spare, then the tyre was blown out, hardly a wiggle and carried straight on through.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

One of my work colleages had a tyre blow out in a Xantia 1.9TD and didnt notice it for about another 10 miles, he drive round the m25, onto the m4 into london and decided to pull over after soo many people were beeping their horns and flashing their lights at him that he though there might be something wrong with his car,
When he got out to look, all that was left of his right rear tyre was 2 hoops of metal banding and a seriously worn down alloy wheel !, wheel was totally knackered and the tyres was completely gone except for the 2 steel hoops
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I also personally had a tyre blowout on my XM 2.5td on the M3 at considerable speed one day, it was the front left that went, sounded like someone had let off a shotgun right next to me !, made me jump!!, i pulled over straight away and there was no loss of control at all as i crossed to lanes onto the hard shoulder, it still braked in a straight line as i slowed down and i just swapped the spare onto it, but the tyre had a 6" split on the sidewall where it had ripped open
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

I've had 2 CX experiances of tyre failure/problems.
On the rear of our old CX familiale the tread of an old michelin de-laminated causing problems including an instant flat tyre. apart from the noise of the tread flapping about, no drama.
Second hit a Brick in my 22TRS on a dual cariiageway at about 65mph. Instant blowout and non round wheel, no loss of control and braked and steered safely to a layby.
Hydraulic cit's are THE car to have tyre trouble in.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have actually experienced driving a CX with a deflated tyre, it was on the M5 soon after it was built. I was only driving at about 60 mph but was aware of, what I thought was a bit of rough road service, no problem with the handling whatsoever, I had driven for several miles and thought something was not quite right as the 'rough surface' continued, so I stopped the car, walked around the o/s rear and couldn't see anything wrong, until I reached the o/s front wheel which emiting smoke, or at least the tyre was.
The reason that the handling was very little affected was because of the front suspension design, which was very different to the Xantia and the XM. The CX has a steering knuckle assembly which is right in the centre of the wheel, so any extra load is transmitted to the chassis without the tendency to deflect the steering, the Xantia and XM on the other hand have a conventional suspension layout, with the pivot point inboard from the centre, with the result that any backward force be it caused by a flat tyre, water, or a kerb, will cause the wheel to turn outwards. The reason you can control them is purely that the power steering has the capcity to overcome the deflection caused by the drag. If you let go of the steering wheel the car would veer off course, a CX wouldn't.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

A lot will reckon the Diravi steering is the reason the CX will handle a blow out like it doesn't exist, but my late father in law had one go on him in a CX without power steering so I would have to say the hydraulic suspension plays a bigger part than the steering.
To me, it would seem logical to expect a hydractive to be slightly superior to the non hydractive due to the reaction time of the sensors as regards hardening/softening the suspension and with improvements in rim design, you'd almost have to give the Xantia the nod you would think, but again, it's all hypothetical up to a point unless the same driver has the same experience at the same speed on the same piece of road in both cars, which could happen immediately before he gets struck by lightning...................twice.
Alan S[:D][:D]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

GS/GSA is best for one simple reason. They have virtually perfect Centre point steering (due to having inboard brakes.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkwheel</i>

GS/GSA is best for one simple reason. They have virtually perfect Centre point steering (due to having inboard brakes.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Centre point steering only minimizes steering reaction to bumps to the minimum possible for a car with no power steering. In real life bumps dont always hit dead on the middle of the tire so steering reaction isn't completely eliminated. (It's still very good though)
On the other hand although the CX doesn't have perfect centre point steering geometry, its still much closer than any McPherson strut system (the balljoint offset is actually quite small) and the DIRAVI system completely isolates the forces on the wheel from the steering wheel, and having driven both my vote would have to be for the CX.
(It also has MUCH more suspension travel in the front suspension than a GS, at least 50% more)
Regards,
Simon
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I personally think that the CX suspension design is superior to anything that they have produced since. If it wasn't for the useless heater and the need to replace the head gasket every 6 months (turbo diesel with pourous block) I would still be running one. The XM is better for creature comforts, but the CX handled like a 17' Mini and gave a better ride!
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Im going to make a bold statement here................
I think that citroen have made 2 really exceptional cars that do exactly what they were designed for and more.
The CX and the 2CV range. I personally need nothing else to do all my motoring in.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Xantia - puncture on M55 aprox 70ish MPH - didnt notice a thing untill I slowed down then tried to accelerate again - got a bit wobbily at that point. I must point out im quite hard of hearing and usually drive with the radio on fairly loud.
ZX - Tyre valve let go about 25ish MPH on Preston Rd in Blackpool - Brown trousers time.
Nuff said.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Had a rear tyre deflate very quickly on a Visa diesel a couple of years ago. Noticed it when i was just turning onto a dual carriageway sliproad, it was the drivers side and the weight transfer went onto that side the back just slewed out, like it was on ice, quick bit of opposite lock bought it back but it was a surprise and a half. Illustrates why hydro cits are best for tyre/wheel troubles.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkwheel</i>

Im going to make a bold statement here................
I think that citroen have made 2 really exceptional cars that do exactly what they were designed for and more.
The CX and the 2CV range. I personally need nothing else to do all my motoring in.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Actually the DS is the best of the lot. Nothing much is at all comprimised for cost of manufacture. Just look at it's MASSIVE front suspension with true centerpoint steering, MASSIVE inboard disks, driveshaft that would do a Mac truck justice, etc, etc, etc...
However the CX is 20years more modern than the DS, accelleration had and limited bodyroll had become much more of a selling point... This has continued with car since to the point where we can buy 'Activa' cars, yet the build cost is MUCH, much much less. They have done away with proper suspension and move to the far less supperior 'struts' (cost no doubt)... They have even moved away from central high pressure hydraulics and fitted bloody cr@ppy standard brakes that they had effortlessly surpassed for quality 50years ago....
The new cars they make are good, but really.... The DS which is now 50years old is a vastly supperior car in a lot of ways (ie: engineers built it, not been counters).
seeya,
Shane L.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I never owned a DS but I am sure that the CX as the last 'proper' Citroen had many of its virtues. The thing that attracted me to the CX was that it has to be the first really refined diesel, even the non turbo one was fast in its day, but the noise level inside when travelling at speed was no more than most petrol cars of the time, although it clattered a bit at tickover, no other diesel was as quiet and smooth to drive. The turbo 2, was the fastest diesel around with a 0-60 time of 10.2 secs, many are not as fast as that now.