Towbar wiring Xsara 2001 HDi est

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Brilec
My Cars:

Towbar wiring Xsara 2001 HDi est

Post by Brilec »

OK, got the tow bar on, now the wiring of the socket. Under the car, behind the rear offsidewheel, is a grey flat connector hanging down with 6 wires going into it, but not connected to anything. I did hope that this might just be forward planning on Citroen's part to facilitate towbar wiring.
Does anyone know whether this is the case, or what it is for?
Brian.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

get someone to work the lights while you probe a test lamp in the terminals & see if it lights up.
Brilec
My Cars:

Post by Brilec »

Yes, thanks. I think the givaway is that the towbar requires 7 wires including earth, and this connector only has 6.
Anyone know what it really is for? Did any of these models have rear parking distance aids as an option perhaps? Just guessing.
Brian.
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

I thought I was in luck when fitting my towbar to 01 xsara and seeing the same box alas I couldn't figure out what it does. I wired a piggy back box with power direct from the fusebox and signal only from the lights, it also gives an audible signal if trailer lights are ok
Brilec
My Cars:

Post by Brilec »

Well, I did the wiring today. Connected in to the wires by the rear light. One assumption caused a problem. I assumed that the double filament bulb was the stop/tail, and couldnt work out why the trailer brake lights wouldn't work, and why the fog lamp switch turned on said brake lights.
Silly me, the double filament bulb is the tail/fog lamp.
Anyway it all works now, but I might have to strangle that mouse that squeeks with the flashers now when the trailer lights are plugged in!
Brian.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brilec</i>

. Connected in to the wires by the rear light.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I thought you couldn't do this with multiplex vehicles - or have I got it wrong?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnD</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brilec</i>

. Connected in to the wires by the rear light.
I thought you couldn't do this with multiplex vehicles - or have I got it wrong?
no reason why you cant.