Xantia Wheel Trims

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark g
My Cars:

Xantia Wheel Trims

Post by mark g »

Hi
My wheel trims are rattling like mad, (I know the various ways to stop this...foam...pipe etc)but as the trims are a bit knackered anyway I was wondering if anyone knows if standard wheels trims would fit. Or is there some reason why Citroen use these ones that fit over the nuts?
Thanks
Mark
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

There are a few reasons for having wheel trims that clip over the wheel nuts. Firstly, they don't drop off when you go over a bump or when you curb them, secondly there are no metal bits to rust. They can be made more cheaply and lighter too and difficult to pull off.
They are a far better design than any other wheel trim I have seen, and you very rarely see a Xantia with a missing wheel trim.
mark g
My Cars:

Post by mark g »

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if the trims fitted over the nuts because standard trims wouldn't fit because of a different wheel design or something?
So will standard non-citroen trims fit?
Thanks
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

you should find that any non standard wheel trim the correct size will fit! (i dont know if they are 14's or 15's on xantia's) i would say though, dont buy them from halfords as they will cost you a packet! seek out a local factors!
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Mark,
Yes most standard "cheapy" trims will fit. However the answer to the Xantia trims is to tighten up the "nut gripper" bit with a medium cable tie. You only have to pull in the dia of the split grippers a bit to sort the noise. Usually cures it if just two per wheel are done.
My Xantia has been sorted like this for five years now and just now and again a cable tie has to be replaced after changing a wheel and losing one.
David
mark g
My Cars:

Post by mark g »

Great, thanks everyone you've answered all my questions. I just have to decide which path to take, (as the Citroen trims are not just noisy but knackered too.)
Thanks again
mark
mark g
My Cars:

Post by mark g »

Just an update, David your idea has worked a treat!
Tightened up the "nut holes" in the trim with cable ties, (mine needed 4 per wheel as still rattled with 2), and the trims are now silent. Fantastic.
Many thanks
Mark