Any advice on Flaring tool.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adzbaby
My Cars:

Any advice on Flaring tool.

Post by adzbaby »

I have a problem with a rounded leaking union on my rear height corrector. I noticed a leak from the nut before the Car went for it MOT, it only leaked as the suspension lowered. I thought it would be easy to ammend and just need a tighten, oh how easy I thought until I realised some bugger had completely rounded the nut and I mean completely!
I want to remove the nut and replace the pipe, however this particular pipe runs all the way back to the engine bay (nice!) so I want to bung a join in where it runs over the top of the rear sub frame. I have purchased the joining block from GSF and 2 new union nuts and seals. The next thing I need is a flaring kit, I get a trade discount through Draper and they only sell one kit and its in imperial (see link http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PI ... rce=affwin) is this going to be suitable (what are the specs of the thin metal hydraulic pipes) and can anyone give me any advice on doing this as I have never attempted it before (seems like it should be quite straight forward to me or maybe not [xx(])?!!
P.S. it is ok to bung a a joining block in pretty much anywhere on the system, or are joins unsuitable on the higher pressure side of the circuit?
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Well,
Yes its OK to use a jointing block (im guessing this is a 3.5mm pipe) and new seals pipe ends.
Flaring tool wise you will need a proper citroen flare pattern, different to any normal type and definitly not going to be in your draper kit.
You can get the tools from GSF, Plaedies even sykes pickavant and the like do them. They are definitly not as cheap as the normal type kits though, and you will need adaptors to do 3.5mm 4.5mm and possibly the 6.75mm tubes.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Easier and safer to replace the pipe! Proper Citroen ones are not expensive and aome are available from GSF. They are noicely bent to shape and fit very well.
Jeremy
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Ideally I would replace the whole pipe but it is seriously not an easy one but any means. It twists, turns, seems to go everywhere along its merry way to the engine bay, would be far easier to put a join in methinks.
I have been trying the track down the necessary tool for the job, Pleiades is the only place I can find to get the bits but £54+vat, ouch. Has anyone here got the necessarys and would be prepared to 'flare' for a few bob? I can post the section of the pipe and pay for the service and return postage? Any takers please don't hesitate to come forward and let youself be known [;)].
It is so bloody typical, if it were the nut next to this one then it would be so simple, as the pipe is about 15 cm long and both ends are easily accesible, oh no, can't be like that, it has to be the awkward barsteward that is a nightmare!!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Unfortunately you will need to flare the pipe that remains on the car too, so you will need to bring the tool to the car....
I think Pleadies do a small one size only flaring tool that you can use on pipes on the car.
Post up where you are - several folk have got flaring tools, and may be close enough to lend. Otherwise have a look in Yellow Pages and see if there is a Cit independent near by, they will probably lend you the tool for a beer token or two [;)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

That Draper tool isn't suitable, it only does "normal" single or double flares and that's not what Citroen uses. You'll need a flaring tool that specifically says it does Citroen flares.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Oh yeah, I forgot about the pipe left on the car!! Doh!
The Pleiades tool can be used in situ. I am based in Winchester, Hampshire. If anyone has a small tool that can be posted I can pay for that, supply a deposit and send it back after use?!
Thanks Adam.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have the hand held flairing tool from pleiades,but you will have a job sticking your car in the post,i think if you get under your car and have a real good look the front to rear pipes terminate along the rear edge of front subframe,you just have to make sure that where they disapear over rear subframe they dont touch or rub against any thing
regards malcolm
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

The main problem is this pipe goes back over the top of the rear sub frame, over and under a few others, then dives down at 90° and then goes 90° again to run horizontally along the underneath of the car to the front subframe as you stated Malcolm. It is a lot of fiddly work to replace the entire section, whereas fitting a join in seems to be a much quicker and equally good fix in my mind.
I can't see how the part would come ready in that shape as it couldn't be installed without having to remove a load of the other pipes, amongst other things, which I darn't touch going by the results achieved on the original union nut.
Also Malcolm, are you just taunting me to let me know you have the tool I need?!! [;)] evil man. It is difficult as I can't really justify coughing up all that cash for something I am only going to need for half an hour and probably never use again. Sob sob, the baby is cold and the wife hungry, please sir can you spare a couple of pennies for a tube of glue?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

well there you go to do the job properly your ment to drop rear subframe,few weeks back i fitted complete set of front to rear pipes to a BX for one of my customers,then you make sure they take right route,also the hand held tool dose not make a perfect flaire every time on steel pipes,have you checked the rubber pipe coming from the top of the h/c because if this has split it may look like you metal pipe union has a leak ,by the by where do you live
regards malcolm
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Malcolm, I be habitating a residence in the fine ol realm of winchester, hampshire.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sorry im in st leonards on sea east sussex
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

to do this pipe you will have to drop both sub frames and i have had the pleasure of doing it (shudders) you will also need to remoave the LHM reserve which is really the easy bit.
there is another option on the pipe use mall grips (i think thats what there called) there the ones that lock onto nuts etc and stay there you can then use it to undo the pipe or tighten it. you idealy want to replace the seal at least. its a shame your not colser this sort of thing is a doddle on my ramps :).
Andy
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

I have already tightened the nut up with a pair of 'mole'? grips. Should be able to know whether it has done the job (when I get the parts I need) once I get the engine started. Otherwise I will have to bite the bullet and order the flaring tool from Pleiades as I can't be dropping sub frames etc, rather spend the cash and fit a join than spend all those hours.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Stilsons are good for gripping rounded nuts, better than molegrips because they're self tightening. Stilsons are in fact designed for gripping round objects (such as pipes) and they work well on spheres too if you have a big enough set.