Xantia Front Disc + Pad Change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Xantia Front Disc + Pad Change

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Wheels off taken little clip off slid out pin with aid of punch, all going well. Now to remove the caliper with the T55 bit, it just wont go.
So i move on to try the disc retaining screws T30 bit, drivers side first, and again it just wont go. What the heck can i do? So i try soaking in WD40 all day and then i try with a small handheld propane gas thingy. Still no joy, bad news i have now part rounded the disc retaining screws on the drivers side disc[:(!], how on earth do these things come out.....ever get that felling that your making it tighter?[:(!]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Disk retaining screws=best to drill them out.Use a drill bit about the size of the screw head,& drill the heads off them.Thats what i have done in the past.Quick & easy.You can usally then use a pair of mole grips to undo the rest of the screw when the disk is off.Or not bother.The screws dont do a lot,not once the caliper is on .Mine have no retaining screws because of the same problem.
Try using a long breaker bar to undo the caliper nuts.Mine were very tight when i first changed the disks.Used a breaker bar & a bit of brute force & the came undone.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If you've got access to a welder you could weld something to the screwhead, there is nothing like welding stuff on to get direct heat onto something. Failing that, you'll be drilling them out.
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Sounds like a lot of fun. I am just about to replace the discs and pads on my Xantia so thanks for the warning. Often, a hard tap with a hammer against the hub will shock the disc retaining screws into releasing easier.
basil

Post by basil »

Try an impact driver,the harder you hit then the better the result[^]
As you hold the driver twist it in the direction you are going.
This tool has saved the day on several occasions[8D]
________
GIFT CARDS
Last edited by basil on 22 Feb 2011, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I have used a fine well honed chisel on the outer perimeter of the screw to get things going.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I did this job on my daughter's Xsara earlier in the week. Caliper bolts were no problem. Disc set screws wouldn't move. Had to be drilled out. Even then, the discs wouldn't budge. First tried a rubber mallet, then a hammer, finally a club hammer. Success!
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Once you have them off (you will get them off [;)]), ensure to clean up and coppergrease all the bolts so as to make the job easier next time.
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

[:D][:D]WooHoo!![:D][:D] All done and back on the road thanks to everybody on here and my <font color="green">Off to Norway</font id="green"> topic. Had to Drill the disc screws out but the caliper support bolts came away in the end, I guess my Rex arms(Toy Story) are just not up to it.
MOT tomorrow i think, before we leave for our drive to Norway on the 12th Aug.
Once again thank you to all of you!!![:D]
basil40

Post by basil40 »

well done - might be worth investing in a breaker bar for the caliper bolts - but drilling out the screws is a no brainer if they are stuck. It's just the screw head.