Xantia - Rear & Front height.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adzbaby
My Cars:

Xantia - Rear & Front height.

Post by adzbaby »

I have a quick question.
My 1.9td VSX had a rusted rear linkage that was almost completely seized, which I replaced today for a nice free moving one. I had also replaced the ARB clamp which had snapped due to the seized linkage. I fitted the clamp as close to the original position as poss and the car would rise and fall to all the correct heights.
However I took it out for a drive and just as I pulled onto the drive I noticed that the rear had dropped and that the plastic clip had popped off. I think that I hadn't put the ARB clamp back in the correct position so I adjusted it slightly and moved it round clockwise a couple of mm as I felt that it was pulling on the linkage a wee bit too much and that's what caused it to pop off. Since doing that the rear rise rose up to the correct ride height but the front of the car has stayed down???!!
I am going to re-adjust now and see what happens but as far as I was aware the ride heights would adjust independently of one another and therefore I was surprised to see the front stay down due to an adjustment on the rear ARB clamp?! Does this seem right?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If the car keeps it's height correctly, that means that the clamp is adjusted correctly on the anti-roll bar. Two things can make the plastic linkage pop off, the first is stiffness in the linkages (which there shouldn't be because you've had them all apart), the second is wear on either the plastic link itself or either of the two balls that it clips onto. You can try replacing the plastic link, I've had to replace one because it was popping off.