Xantia - Knock knock !!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FatController
My Cars:

Xantia - Knock knock !!

Post by FatController »

Anyone any ideas for help on this one ?
OI have a 95 1.9td Xantia SX. In the last week or so, it has started "knocking" from under the front end when being driven, particularly on semi-bumpy roads.
It APPEARS to be "lower down" than the engine, but I'm just wondering if there's anything these beasts are renowned for breaking that I can look out for specifically, rather than just grope around blind ?
Any help looked forward to !!!!
Regards,
Lee.
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

Is it heavy knocking or a more lighter rattle/knock? As it sounds like mine did on semi bumpy roads, a light knocking going round bends or corners, worked it out to being the anti roll bar link rods
John
FatController
My Cars:

Post by FatController »

It's a "medium " knocking !!!! Not very helpful I know.
It's not just on corners though, and it DOES seem to get a little more persistant as the bumps get worse. On a good road it more or less disappears.
Regards,
Lee.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, 10/1 anti roll bar links.
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

I would go along with that as well Peter, they are cheap enough to buy aswell, but i found that they come in two different sizes meaning the head size nuts
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Im not too clever but very good looking [:D] and i would say the anti roll arms too...as mentioned also....cheap to replace...and my moto is if its cheap then do it then at least you know its done
FatController
My Cars:

Post by FatController »

OK - I'm no mechanic here so lets see.
The cars up on ramps, behind the sump is a bar running side to side, from one wheelwell to the other. There is a "ball-joint" at the end of this, attached to a bar which goes up toward the bonnet and seems to be bolted at the other end, either to the firewall (?) or to the wheel assembly - in any case it's about 12-16 inches long - roughly.
Are we saying that I need to replace this short bar - in full ?
If so - is Citroen the best place to go for it - and how much is it likely to cost ? Also - should I replace both sides at the same time ?
Regards,
Lee.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Lee - this forum is hosted by GSF.
That's why you buy parts at GSF [;)]
https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/
select Citroen -wait- select Xantia -wait- select suspension and wheels - make your choise [8)]
FatController
My Cars:

Post by FatController »

lol - now you tell me !!!!!
Not noticed that before - I'll have a look now
Thanks he says - sheepishly !!
Lee.
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

Hmmmm. I'm experiencing something similar with my bling.
is there any way of verifying the anti roll bar links are worn, other than replacing them? There doesn't appear to be any play..
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

No there wont be much, if any play until you remove them & even then it is just noticeable.
John
FatController
My Cars:

Post by FatController »

OK - I've identified what I need, spoken to mein Host and got it all priced up - even got one of the mechanics at work do agree to do the job as a foreigner !!!!
Question is - while he's doing the drop-links, would it be recommended to get him to change the bushes toward the MIDDLE of the anti-roll bar seeing he's down there anyway ????
Are they easy to change, or are they like an S40 Vulvo and hidden away above some subframe member ?
Lee.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think you will find that they rarely fail - never heard of anyone changing them. Examine carefully and see if they really do need changing - ie is there movement.
Certainly much more dificult than changing drop links.
Jeremy