Plastic Coated Pipes BX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

G4EIY
My Cars:

Plastic Coated Pipes BX

Post by G4EIY »

Hi,
Does any one know what date or Vin number this change over started.
Cheers
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Why do you wanna know Brian ?
- these days any BX would have had the piping replaced - or is highly overdue. The original piping wont last more than some 8-10years. It's simply dangerous driving on with such old piping.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

Why do you wanna know Brian ?
- these days any BX would have had the piping replaced - or is highly overdue. The original piping wont last more than some 8-10years. It's simply dangerous driving on with such old piping.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Why do the BX pipes rust so easily ? I've never heard of the hydraulic pipes rusting away so easily on GS's or CX's at least not over here....many of them are well over 20 years old and still going fine.
Are the Xantia pipes any better for rust ?
Regards,
Simon
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Simon -
Dont forget we use roadsalt during wintertime - which you do not ...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Xantia pipes are plastic coated, the plastic can and does come off, if it becomes damaged water can get underneath it. The pipes also seem to be made of two different metals, although they could just be plated, and seem to last a lot better than the brake pipes that any "normal" car comes with.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Dont forget we use roadsalt during wintertime - which you do not ...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
And, of course, as the pipes run along the left side of the car they are exposed to even MORE salt in the UK because it gets washed into the gutter-and we drive on the left.....so a UK car is probably even more susceptible than a European car. In the bad old days of rusty cars, it was always the left that needed more attention than the right.
they rust away just as easily on GS's and CX's, but the whole car rusts at the same rate in those cases!!!