Draper fault code finder

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

Draper fault code finder

Post by oscarloco »

Has anyone bought a Draper fault code reader for a ZX? Are they good? Comments please.
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

yes,
although the electronics are very basic and can be replicated yourself with a switch and an led with resistor, it does save much hassel to buy this unit.
my fault code reader helped me through curing my unsteady idling,
not realy much to say about them tho, easy to connect (just make sure you get a good earth, which seems closer to the batter the better i found, so i used the batter securing bracket a gooden), good instruction manual tho, has a list of codes and some rough ideas on how to cure an error code which isnt bad.
Edd
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by lighteninguk</i>

yes,
<font color="red"><b>although the electronics are very basic and can be replicated yourself with a switch and an led with resistor, it does save much hassel to buy this unit</b>.</font id="red">
my fault code reader helped me through curing my unsteady idling,
not realy much to say about them tho, easy to connect (just make sure you get a good earth, which seems closer to the batter the better i found, so i used the batter securing bracket a gooden), good instruction manual tho, has a list of codes and some rough ideas on how to cure an error code which isnt bad.
Edd
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Do you have the electrical diagram to replicate this?
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/fuel/test.html
^that website has a small diagram and text about it at the bottom of the page. yes the page is geared towards BX's, but the code reading part of it is the same for ZX's
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

Bought the Gunsons one, best decscibed as a total waste of money. It did'nt pick up the fault, but a Sykes Pickavant one did. Perhaps the Draper one is better.
Paul.
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

i realy dont see how the gunsons one didnt work... they're all basically the same circuit... remember your ECU doesnt remember everything and stuff it does remember it only remembers it for 20 or so starts (i think)
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Are the fault codes set by some standard for all injection makes and types, or are they system/car/year-specific?
What I mean is - if e.g. 36 = oxygen sensor heating on 92 1,6 BX with Magnetti-Marelli G system, will it be the same 36 = oxygen sensor heating on 93 1,1 Fiat Uno with Bosch Mono Jetronic [?]
aengus
My Cars:

Post by aengus »

unlikely on the early cars, maybe on later ones with ODB(?), but even then not a guarantee.