2cv World Meeting

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

yangreen

2cv World Meeting

Post by yangreen »

Well, it is upon us. The World Meeting of 2cv Friends commences on Tuesday 26th. Something like 3000 cars are expected so you may get delayed on all northbound motorways over the next week!
It takes place in Kelso in the Scottish Borders and 2cv'ers from all over the world (including Japan and Australia!) will be visiting.
Won't be on here for a bit as I'm helping set up from tomorrow but it'll be amazing! £7 if anyone wants to visit the site for the day. It'll be a sight you won't forget in a hurry!
Ian
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well vangreen I hope you enjoy yourself, and have a successful event. That certainly will be a lot of 2cv's at one event, so it looks like you will be very busy.
I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of the event on the forum, if you, or another visitor to the show can post the details, for those of us who cannot make it to the event.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

We are off up there also, but not until tuesday cos' we're not helpers just punters.
Will bring you all back some pics :-)
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I'll bung some up on my Wanadoo site when I get back. Actually, at the last event we held, there was a flock of hydro-Citroens with a gathering of BXs at one point. Got to drive a 16v which was cool!
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Ill hopefully be coming in a friends 2cv but it wont be till Friday the 29th. Should be a lot of fun.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Cool. Nice to know some other forumites will be there!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Just back from camping in bonny scotland, there is a fly in the ointment in camping up there, not a fly actually but a few hundred million midges, you wouldnt believe how vicious the little sods are, the insider knowledge you need is AVON SKIN SO SOFT products, especially woodland scented ones, bath oil, cream, oil spray all of these smeared/sprayed onto all exposed skin will keep the little blighters at bay otherwise you will be hiding in your cars/tents/pub, hope you use this information gained by me the hard way!
Stewart
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Driving south on A1 today I noticed loads of 2CV's and a couple of H vans going north to Scotland. Looks like it is going to be busy!!!
Regards
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Also saw a lot on the A1 between M62 and M18....didnt realize you could drive them on the A1 heeehehehe
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I saw a convoy of 2CVs up near Morpeth going the wrong way, Morpeth happens to be the point on the A1 where you'd leave the A1 if you were heading North to Kelso. They all seemed to be leaving in different wrong directions [;)] lost and going off in little groups.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I saw a few foreign-registered 2CVs heading south through Fife today One had a 2CV as a trailer and another was towing a caravan!
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Hi, for info, we had over 2500 cars during the event - some 2000 of which arrived on the first day! Gee, marshalling that lot was hard work!
The event didn't open until 26th so any lost looking cars before that were trying to find another campsite!
Was utterly brilliant. Next one is Sweden in 2007...
Ian
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Yep it was really great- Never seen so many A-Series together. Was really amazed by a Dyane with an engine conversion that was there- Im not sure what engine it was but it was a flat 4 water cooled from most probably a Subaru or Alfa Romeo. The radiator was installed on top with two massive fans horizontally mounted between the radiator and bonnet! The gearbox and engine were so big that the driveshaft CV joints were constantly positioned at about 30 degrees forward so I doubt they last very long, especially with all the extra power.
Seriously though, a mega good event, friendly people and loads to do and see. Ive been converted back to 2cv's so my next car wont be a BX16V but a Dyane or 2CV. Preferably a Dyane- It seems 2CV's have litrally doubled in value over the last 3 years!
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Dyanes are genuine bargains. Because they aren't "proper" 2cvs, people overlook them and values are very low. Easy to get a sound one for less than a grand. They are nicer to drive and have the bonus of a hatchback. The only thing I found when I had one is that I missed the 2cv'ness of the original.
2cv values are pushing up as more classic car enthusiasts wake up to what great cars they are. I've seen people asking as much as £8k for original low mileage ones! Expect to pay £2k for a sound one on a galvanised chassis.
Glad to hear we've won you back!
Ian
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Despite only living 50 miles away, I didn't manage to get there - forgot about it, and we had guests. Still was in Edinburgh on Sunday, and saw TWO Ami 6's - never seen one before!
I mentioned the idea of buying a 2CV and going to Sweden in 2007, and SWMBO thought it was a good idea. Game on!! Of course, I could weld up the Visa Decap, and go in that, rather than one of those damn common 2CV things[8)]!
See you all there!