turbocharger xantia estate 1.9td update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tazman3
My Cars:

turbocharger xantia estate 1.9td update

Post by tazman3 »

hi there i am having major snags keeping my 96 xantia estate above 40 mph going up hills. i can hit a major hill at 70 mph in fifth but by the time im half way up im in third at nearly 40mph. my mate reckons possible no boost from turbo and has suggested i get a boost gauge to check if turbo engaging. he also mentioned wastages or something like that anyway. he explained how the turbo worked and i could see that but does anyone know if the turbo is a common problem with the 1.9td engine?? or does anyone have any other ideas. much appreciated cheers[:(]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its probably much simpler and no where near as interesting. The boos pressure is communicated to an extra fuel device on the pump by a thin rubber pipe running between the high pressure inlet system (ie after the turbo) and the injection pump and this pipe has probbaly split or fallen off.
On my TD BX the intercooler is on top of the engine and the pipe comes off a point in the centre of the intercooler and runs across the front of the engine to the pump. Its different on your Xantia but the pipe should be quite easy to find.
Check all the pipe and its branches - as on some it also feeds an averboost warning light switch and a loss of pressure anywhere will affect the operation of the extra fuel device.
Jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Start at the pump and work backwards.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Do you hear the turbo whistling ?
Do you hear rushing air ?
Check the air pipes between the intercooler ( in front of the radiator ), and the turbo / inlet manifold ).
Otherwise, check the small pipe mentioned above, they can split, causing leaks.
tazman3
My Cars:

Post by tazman3 »

i dont hear any rushing air or whistling sounds is the turbo down the back of the engine on the xantia. i will have a look tonight for the pipes you mention guys. cheer i will post tomorrow with the results [:)]
tazman3
My Cars:

Post by tazman3 »

i have checked all the pipes i can see and there doesnt seem to be any off or cracked/split. but then again im not sure what i am looking for and as the turbo is down the back of the engine its hard to see whats supposed to be down there anyway. [:(]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You are not looking at the turbo - but for a pipe leading from the induction system to the injection pump.
Turbo's are generally reliable and if they fail the usual failure is of the seals which allows oil to leak into the exhaust and gives a characteristic could of blue smoke. It is possible the wastegate has stuck but again this is unusual.
Find this pipe and check it carefully - its easy and cheap to deal with.
Jeremy
tazman3
My Cars:

Post by tazman3 »

i have noticed a pipe from the intercooler to under the injection pump but this is intact. i will try and post a picture later of the pipe i am on about to see if it is the right one....cheers
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

There should be a small rubber hose going from the top pipe from the intercooler (the one that goes into the inlet manifold) to a mushtoom shaped device on top of the fuel pump. That is the enrichment device that lets the fuel pump put more fuel into the engine when there is turbo boost available, if it isn't there your turbo will behave as a non-turbo.
The enrichment device contains a diaphragm that can split or puncture and that would stop it working too.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Kowalski's right for the Bosch pump - if you have the roto-diesel its a cylinder sticking out of the pump and pointing at the radiator and uses a small diameter pipe.
Jeremy
tazman3
My Cars:

Post by tazman3 »

cheers guys i found the prob. the big plastic pipe that goes over the back of the engine to the turbo wasnt attached properly to the intercooler. i only noticed this as i pushed it on and after driving the car for a couple of mins i heard this big whoosh of air. i stop looked under the bonnet to find this pipe off of the intercooler. so i tightened it up and hey presto car is fine. thanks for all your advice jeremy and kowalski[:D]
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys
thats very interesting ill have to have a look at my i.9 td xantia it seems to be underpowered espectialy first thing in the morning and seems slow on the whole compared to my last 1.9td xant im thinking after reading this thread i might have the same problem so where exactly is this pipe does it run from the top of the diesel pump.
pete.......................
tazman3
My Cars:

Post by tazman3 »

the pipe that i had loose was the big thick air pipe that goes over the top of the engine and connects to either side of the intercooler in front of the radiator.; the other pipe which was ok on mine is as jeremy states comes of the injection pump hope this helps. i have just drove back from portsmouth (180 miles) and i could acually get up hills without having to change down.....[:D][:D]
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

ok thanks tazman
ill go and have a look now and ill let you know never realised i could have a problem like this till i read this thread i just thought the car was just slower to my previous xantia.
many thanks
pete...........................
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Did the last one have the purely mechanical pump i.e. no electronics / ECU?
The engine with the ECU has a catalyst, EGR and 2 bhp less than the pure mechanical one, and a 97 Xantia comes with the ECU. De-cat it and change the air filter and all will be fine [;)]