Engine does not turn off!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

q_007
My Cars:

Engine does not turn off!

Post by q_007 »

Hi
I have a Citroen Xantia where the engine does not turn off on the key! Car is an L reg 1.9D hatchback
I have to stall the car to turn it off (not good for my clutch/gearbox i think!!)
How can i resolve this?
Thanks
Q
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Check that the stop solenoid on the diesel pump is working (any loose connections?) If not, its probably going to need replacing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Check for 12 volts on the solonoid terminal, should dissapear when turned off, if it does, as wilkobob said, change the solonoid.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

and get it done sooner rather than later! I know of a couple of cases like this where the owner has left the problem for considerable amount of time, and when taken to the garage they simply couldn't get the engine to stop and in one case melted the engine (god knows to what extent though!).
Stop solenoids are reasonalby easy to change and non too expensive so probably worth having a crack at yourself! If you dont know what the stop solenoid is then consult the Haynes Diesel Engine manual!
q_007
My Cars:

Post by q_007 »

Thanks guys!
Could i put in a manual push to break switch temporarily?
Also, anyone got a pick or instructions on how to sort it?
Q
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

The problem may be internal where the seal that shuts the fuel off, has cracked/split. So even if there is no 12v supply at the soleniod
the engine will keep running because the fuel is leaking past the seal.
The only remedy is to change the soleniod as others have said.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its fairly obvious how to change it- its on top of the diesel pump with a wire going to it, have a look in the Haynes book if uncertain.
Have a look here-this is Bosch but rotodiesel is similarhttp://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw/en ... jpump.htmlIts what they refer to on there as the "magnet valve"
They just screw out and the replacement screws in.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Does the stop solenoid often get stuck open? I would have thought the usual fail state would be unenergised and closed. I've only had to replace one that sprung a leak.
It's simple to check, ensure the 12v supply to the top of the solenoid disapears when the ignition is turned off. If it does then the solenoid must be stuck open.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The Lucas ones typically give trouble, the rubber bit on the end of them swells and sticks. The Bosch solenoids are typcially more reliable.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

If you still have the problem, look in the owners maual and you will see that there is a manual stop lever on your fuel pump, normally a brass-ish colour. Just use this to stop the car, it causes no damage and is safe. Its there if the solenoid packs in.
Paul
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

Is the solenoid located on the N/S corner of the bulkhead, if so i have got one spare.
John
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If you've got a Lucas fuel pump on your engine (more likely than the Bosch) it's on top of the fuel pump, a round object with a wire coming off it.