OK CONFUSED NOW AUTOBOX S2 XM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sammycitroenzx
My Cars:

OK CONFUSED NOW AUTOBOX S2 XM

Post by sammycitroenzx »

im confused now as posted on this forum the switch on the center console infront of the sport normal slider on the left hand side mine is a s2 auto there is a push switch with light with a snowflake on it i have always been told it was for the a/c but now i have been told different it for the auto mode to tell the gearbox to start in second for snow slippery conditions now i have looked in the manual it does not mention any thing about it in there and i been in a few xms in my time and i have never seen one apperently it has three modes snow eco and sport which sould indcate in the box set in the speedo which is a one letter box ie p n r d 321 so on that basis it sould also say s for snow e for eco and erm s for sport somebody must have one mine is not wired up 4 wires for the switch can somebody tell me the wiring goes in the switch so i can get it working again and awaite with glee to see how it works
all that is left to do is track down which switch operates the ac as i dont have the climate control just an aftermarket astroair system thanks
samantha
it aint broke till you fix it
vsx 20ct n reg estate 289k
oh and a volcane for sale too
aengus
My Cars:

Post by aengus »

Sam, sounds like you have the older auto which does not have the snow mode, that's only on the late auto-adaptive box, which went in very late into the production run of S2's, so I'd work on the basis you were before - it's a/c - what climate panel do you have?
sammycitroenzx
My Cars:

Post by sammycitroenzx »

i just have the normal pannel in the 3 big knobs and 2 sliders open the bonnet there is the ac bits tall tube with the sight glass next to the battery and the compressor on the drivers side at the bottom front of engine drive by belt inside no switches that indcate ac on or off just this snowflake on the center console with no wire going to but but i have found the 4 wires so i like to connect them just to find out what they do eithier a/c or auto box the box if fine as it is it is a late 1996 estate what boxes did they have as i have said mine cant be a one off has any one else got the snowflake button if so how is it wired
thanks
samantha
it aint broke till you fix it
vsx 20ltr turbo estate 1996 289miles
did i mention i have a zx volcane 1.9 petrole for sale
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

It looks as if you have all the bits for a/c, what threw me was the position and description of the "snowflake" button. As I said, my S2 has it paired with a "sport" button to control the gearbox mode. The info that is copied to the box in the speedo appears to the right of the selected gear info; if the sport button is pressed, "spt" appears at bottom right, if the snowflake is pressed a snowflake appears at centre right, if either button is pressed again the selection is cancelled and "eco" appears at top right.
The info on this won't appear in the Haynes manual, it's in the owner's handbook. My handbook has the inscription XM-GB-5000 on the back of the rear cover and the info I've described is on pages 59 and 60.
I suppose it's possible that if you don't have the auto adaptive gearbox (in which case the info won't appear in the handbook!) someone could have used the snowflake button as a master switch for the a/c. It's important you establish which is which as otherwise you'll be connecting the wrong bit. I wish I could remember what the a/c switch had on it in my old SEi XM but the memory is going.
Regarding your original query about ill effects of not running the a/c for some while, they do recommend it be operated at least once a month as otherwise the seals dry out.
Regards, Derek.
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

My old XM Exclusive(95) 3.0 V6 12V had a slider control for sport mode and snow mode. As far as I am aware it certainly wasn't one of the new type of 'auto adaptive' boxes.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Um, I think you'll find the slider is for the hydractive suspension control with "sport" and "normal" as the two settings.
Sammy, the button I had in my old car to switch a/c on and off had half a snowflake with the word "stop" under it. is that what you've got?