Xantia ABS and Speedo Cable Update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Xantia ABS and Speedo Cable Update

Post by CitroJim »

After owning my Xantia for nigh on three months I "discovered" it had ABS and went through what was nearly hell to get the ABS warning light working again, only to find I had a duff sensor on the offside front. Thanks enormously to this forum for the information on testing sensors and locating the duff one. I could not have done it without this forum and as usual, the BOL was no help whatsoever...
I replaced the sensor today after shelling out the kings ransom for a new one [:(] and joy of joys the ABS now works. This is the first car I have ever owned or driven with ABS. Previously there was always an issue with the brakes that I could never quite put my finger on, often I'd get a pumping and kicking sensation through the pedal on really quite moderate braking as if the ABS was working. That has now gone totally and the brakes are just perfect. I deliberately did a few emegency stops on a quiet bit of road this evening just to get the feel of ABS. I'm really impressed with it. So, I guess that the original problem I found that put the warning light out may have left the ABS ECU in a partially working condition because the brakes sure feel a lot different now.
I also relaced the speedo cable today because the speedo needle was a bit wavery and bouncy[:0]. The method stated in the BOL might work if the engine and brake dosuer is removed but is impossible otherwise unless you happen to have foot long quadrupally jointed fingers. I did it differently. I fed the new cable in from the dash but I soon realised the rubber ball on the cable would never pass through the black guide pipe on the dash. No worries, I chopped off the ball and it fed through very easily. The tight bends and the grommet seem to hold the cable adequately and I dont think the loss of the ball will cause a problem long-term. It's removal certainly made a nigh-on impossible job a very simple one and now I have a rock-steady speedo..
All in all, what one may describle as a result! [:)][:)]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Glad you got it all sorted Jim. Nice to have the car as it was meant to be.
My first experiance of ABS was in CX's and on at least one occasion saved me from an accident, just for being able to steer whilst breaking hard.
Speedo cables, oh what fun, done a couple of BXones in my time :-)