Squealing from Aux belt area - Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adzbaby
My Cars:

Squealing from Aux belt area - Xantia

Post by adzbaby »

Lo there,
When the car (1.9td l reg) is idling there is a horrible squeal/rattle from the aux belt area which has progressively got louder over the last few months. I take it this is most likely to be the aux belt tensioner or could it be something else?
If not 'else', what's the danger on the squeal? Can it fail? Can I just continue to ignore it?
Ta.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The most common problem is that the belt would be a bit loose, causing a squealing sound.
When you rev the engine a bit, it should get worse.
The belt will need tightening.
The risk is that a loose belt will cause lack of spinning power to the alternator, hydraulic pump and air conditioning compressor.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

it could be a noisy belt - some seem to get very dirty and make loads of noise but generally I'd have described it as rough rather than a squeal. If that happening give it a squirt with something and see if it goes quiet.
If you keep the spray confined to the belt and it continues it could well be the belt tensioner which shold be replaced before it fails completely. If it takes the belt with it the belt could get caught in the cambelt and break that - wrecking the engine.
The tensioner itself may respond to lubrication - again for diagnostic purposes only - not as a long term solution.
jeremy
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

The belt is tensioned fine, you can press it down about 1", and I have given the HP a squirt on its shaft, the alternator a squirt on its shaft and as best I could given the space, the tensioner a squirt but it still the same. The noise does not amplify with engine speed, hte opposite happens the sound of the engine drowns it out. It is a metallic squeal, like dry bearings. I guess the best thing to do is replace it if it is the tensioner.
How hard is this, I have changed the belt in situ before and thats pretty darn easy, n'er done a tensioner before. Any things to watch out for, or give special consideration to?