Car pulling to the right during acceleration

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

Car pulling to the right during acceleration

Post by oscarloco »

Hi
My car has been pulling to the left during hard acceleration and not so much during normal acceleration.
Took it to a wheel alignment center, corrected the convergence and now feels more stable in straight line but still, it pulls to the right.
I have to replace the drop links. Could this be the culprits or should I check something else? As far as I understand, Antiroll bar only works in uneven surfaces or during cornering, so I'm about to discard that as the cause. Oppinions please.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you've got a family I'd make sure I'd got good life insurance before removing the anti-roll bar and then driving the car.
Are all the wishbone bushes sound? What about the ball joint at the bottom of the strut / wishbone joint?
jeremy
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Sorry, I didn't mean to discard (as in throw away) the Antiroll bar, only discard (as in remove it of the equation)the drop links as the cause of the problem.
Wishbone bushes are ok. I was thinking more of the steering rods ends. Problem is, nothing (except drop links) rattle so I don't know where to start.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

correctly inflated tyre
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Tires are OK, new tires pressures OK.
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

hi there, I used to have an alfa 33, and "torque steer" came as standard... This was explained to me by the salesman (without a hint of shame)as being due to the bushes in the lower suspension wishbones not being up to the job. So have a look at yours... I understand that their replacement is not a particularly big job
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

ps.. You say yours are ok, but they are subject to immense forces under acceleration, so are worth a second look..
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

I would look at the bottom wishbone bushes as mentioned by several already!
i hade a similar problem on mine when you get into the powerband it would try and chance lanes for you! bushes arnt to badly priced and can be fitted yourself! but you may find that a quicker solution wouldbe picking up a second hand set of bottom arms from a breakers yard (try and check the bushes have no play first!) and slot them on!
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Are the front tyres the same. I had a problem a few weeks ago on a 106, where different tyres were fitted to the car, and the car pulled to the left, where the tyre was fitted. Moved it to the right (correct side as it was directional) then it pulled to the right, so decided to swap it to the rear of the car, so both front ones were standard tyres, low and behold problem fixed.
aengus
My Cars:

Post by aengus »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mpr1956</i>

hi there, I used to have an alfa 33, and "torque steer" came as standard... This was explained to me by the salesman (without a hint of shame)as being due to the bushes in the lower suspension wishbones not being up to the job. So have a look at yours... I understand that their replacement is not a particularly big job
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Can't vouch for the 33 but expect was same setup as the sud of which I had 3, and the torque steer was down to geometery, and could be improved by lowering the tail of the gearbox a few mm using shims. the steering arms on the Sud's started from the centre of the rack, rather than the end as in more conventional cars.
Agree that the bushes are the place to look, if the bj's and track-rod ends are OK. Also check the rack is bolted up nice and tight.
regards
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

OK, I will give the bushes a second look. As cornishBx16v mentions, my car does seem to want to change lanes for me.
sammycitroenzx
My Cars:

Post by sammycitroenzx »

my zx 19 volcane 5 door used to do that too and it was the rear axle that was out of kilter the rear wheels had moved and both turned slightly to the right i tried the front wishbone and that did not help
samantha
trust me im a girl {it ant broke until you fix it}
xm 2.0ltr vsx turbo estate 289k
zx volcane for sale got to go