fuel filter bypass ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mpr1956
My Cars:

fuel filter bypass ?

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi all, I would welcome your opinion on the following.. After changing my fuel filter, and while squeezing the rubber bulb to replenish the system I noticed a fuel leak from the housing. On checking the housing, I found the leak was from the small thermostat in the plastic housing that decides whether the fuel goes straight to the pump or gets warmed by the engine. Anyway.. after finishing I found the engine ran very roughly, so, being at work and short on time I got desperate and bypassed the filter altogether and connected the fuel line direct to the pump to get home. What a difference !! the engine ran better than it ever had before, and had loads more power. I fitted an inline fuel filter next day, and am still enjoying my "new" engine but the big question is, am I running on borrowed time using this inline filter, or should I source a replacement filter housing for proper protection ? ( 93 tdsx 180k )
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

I would be interested to know the answer to this. My fuel filter housing leaks a bit of air and cases starting problems unless I prime it every morning. I had thought about doing this
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Running without a filter is a bit of a gamble, fuel injection pumps and injectors are very precision components, a tiny piece of grit could irreparably damage the pump and although most fuel is very clean there is always a chance! It would be a lot cheaper to replace the filter than the pump. Poor performance can be down to a clogged filter, when was it last changed?
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Ive seen quite a few of these bypass jobs with an inline filter and none so far to my knowledge have given any grief. In fact, some of the garages around this area actually recommend it.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Surely an inline filter is too small for a Xantia?
The injector pump on my '94 was making noise, changing the fuel filter stopped it. The filter that came out was visibly dirty and obcviously restrictive. If you go to a smaller filter it'll either be more restrictive and block up quicker than a large one or it'll let stuff through that it shouldn't. Citroen didn't spec a large filter for no reason.
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

I agree that Citroen (or Peugeot) didn't fit that type of filter housing for no reason..(its quite a work of art!) but when these cars are specced, they have to take account of the worst possible operating conditions and the lowest grades of fuel wherever they are sold, so perhaps these filters are over-specified in the first place. That said, you can't go far wrong having the original equipment fitted, so I must admit I feel a bit of a bodger doing this mod, and I'm going to the scrappy tomorrow for a look at a replacement housing. p.s. I am still surprised and impressed at how much difference a properly sealed fuel supply system makes to a diesel car !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The thing that worries me about using an in-line filter is the absence of a water trap. Water is lethel to diesel injection pumps and certainly to early HDI fuel systems and no-one will convince me that any forecourt diesel in the UK is free of water...
Get a proper one back on ASAP...
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

Hi,
I have been running my Ax Diesel on the biggest petrol filter i could find at halfords it runs fine but is due for a change i might open it up just to check for grit etc
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

I had problems starting from cold, suspect air leaking into filter housing somewhere, replaced with an inline and it started first turn this morning.