nice way to end a week

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lighteninguk

nice way to end a week

Post by lighteninguk »

after finishing my 75 hour week at work, got in my car to drive home, car turned over, but didnt fire up. Cut a long story short, RAC came out, and after poking around for 10-20 mins or so, he pointed at the fuel pump.
he worked out, that it didnt make any noise when ignition turned on, also the fact that it pulled 11.62 Amps and usualy pumps go at 6-7Amps, which suggested it was seezed. as a low Amp's means either pump blades broke up, or empty tank, 6-7 is a happy one, and a high is usualy it not going seezing up.
he also came across this idea as pump was getting a supply on ignition.
whats my best bet to do, buy a new one? and which?! also rough cost, just looked in citoen pr seems quite costly £100+ anywhere that could do them for a resnoble price?
Thanks for your help.
Edd
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

Must be people breaking ZX 1,4I's somewhere, try your local breakers, Ebay etc,
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

after a brief bit of research today found theres two types of fuel pumps for zx's, one which just pumps and another that pumps and works out the fuel level, but am unsure which mine is, my pump only has two pin (which supply the pump with its power) leading into the top of it. and no other pins on the top of the pump, so i am assuming it is just the pump, anyone know how to tell other than just lookin at the top of it?
Edd
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

being a bit duff one day I thought that, to get some more grunt out of a lowly 1.4i ZX you could upgrade the f pump in the tank to one out of a 1.9i, theroy being it would deliver more fuel = bigger bang.
Sad I know.