xantia suspension pump leaking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chimo
My Cars:

xantia suspension pump leaking

Post by chimo »

Hi all, i lost power steering and brakes today and noticed fluid leaking from the pulley at the pump. When i replace the pump what do i need to do after that? i.e fill with LHM and bleeding?
thanks
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Pump will need priming - probably by filling the hose with LHM and then connecting it with the engine running. PAS should bleed itself when you turn the wheel a few times form side to side. Brakes/suspension - loosen pressure relief valve on regulator before you start and tighten after its run for a couple of minutes. then do Citrobics - raise and lower fully a few times. DON't touch the brakes and they shouldn't need bleeding. (Don't touch so as not to move fluid in each limb to caliper)
Jeremy
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I found that an easy way to prime the pump is to lightly pressurise the LHM tank by using a tyre pump connected to the vent hose on the cap. If you're gonna be changing the LHM it might be worth bleeding the brakes anyway to freshen the fluid in the pipes and calipers.
chimo
My Cars:

Post by chimo »

Thanks all for your help. I 'll get stuck into it tomorrow. The pump looks easy enough to replace but the belt looks a bit tricky with not much room.
cheers
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Are you sure that the fluid is coming from the pump bearing and not the output pipe? I know there's always a first time but I have never known a pump fail suddenly, but the pipe does, the end cracks off.
chimo
My Cars:

Post by chimo »

Hi peter, i started up the engine the other day and could see the green stuff coming out of the shaft on the pump. The pump has two steel pipes and then one rubber pipe going into the pump and i did'nt notice any fluid leaking from any of them but i will definitly take a closer look in the morning. A day or two before the fluid emptied onto the road i did hear a strange whirring noise that was constant but stopped at tickover. I also noticed that the drive belt was ripped/ frayed at the edge on one part of the belt as if it got caught somewhere. Anyway i'll be getting her back on the road tomorrow hopefully.
cheers