Help: ZX idling gone mad!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Soor
My Cars:

Help: ZX idling gone mad!

Post by Soor »

Hi, just logged on.
I have a ZX Volcane 20i 1993. Last night while driving, I noticed that the car would judder a little when I came off the throttle. I dipped the clutch and saw the revs go up and down between 1000rpm and 2000rpm with a frequency of around every 3 seconds. It did this all the way home (20 minutes). This morning I started the car and revs rose to 3000rpm and stayed there. I switched off the engine as not to damage it. Any ideas please? Is it the "idle speed control stepper motor"?
I would be so grateful for any advice.
Paul
Soor
My Cars:

Post by Soor »

I looked on the forum after I posed my message and read about what the idle speed stepper control motor did. I was going to take it off and see if it could be cleaned. Instead I fired up the engine and put all the electrical loads on (blower fan, rear heater, all lights etc) and the revs settled down. I thought this might get the motor moving to kind of “re-boot” it. Seems to have worked. I've done some driving today, and it all seems Ok. Weird.
Having said that I think I should get the management system checked out. I don't want to go to a Citroen dealer because anything beyond changing the oil, they don't have a clue. Could anyone recommend an independent who have talented qualified people? East London / Essex area please.
Again any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Paul