diesel pump: O-seal?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

freek
My Cars:

diesel pump: O-seal?

Post by freek »

Hi,
I reported last week that I replaced the diesel pump of my bx td succesfully. The only thing I noticed was that the timing needed adjustment (retarding) because of too much knock when cold. But yesterday I noticed diesel spots on the street where I parked. Looking underneath showed diesel leaking from the cam belt cover. Apperently there is a problem with the O-seal of the axe of the pump. Is this the rubber ring on the outside of the pump which is combined with the plastic ring? Maybe I did not mount it properly afterall? Or is it the sealing in the pump? (sorry to bother you again...)
Reagards,
Freek
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It sounds like diesel leaking past the bearing, it may be a seal, although not very easy to get at, or, if the pump has had any water in it, it could be the bearing itself that is failing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It sounds like diesel leaking past the bearing, it may be a seal, although not very easy to get at, or, if the pump has had any water in it, it could be the bearing itself that is failing.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

does this help?
http://www.citroenz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1604
manufacturers manual for old CAV (now roto-diesel) pump - gives you some idea.
http://users.skynet.be/sn/manuals/dpa%2 ... manual.pdf
jeremy
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi,
If the diesel is leaking past the seal on the drive shaft, I have replaced these successfully in the past on a Lucas pump.
Bosch pumps tend not to have this problem.
You must make sure that the seal bearing surface on the shaft is cleaned of all traces of rust and any debris build up, otherwise the new seal will not last long.
It's a little difficult to get to, as it is recessed, I used very fine wet and dry paper soaked in light oil.
Good luck