Plip query

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnlyn
My Cars:

Plip query

Post by johnlyn »

I have just laid my hands on another plip not sure what type but off an early 96 Xantia, i thought the batteries were dead in it but not the case just put new ones in & the LED on the side is not working, can you take these plips to bits & test it? Or are its insides & the rubber top buttons replaceable?
John
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If it looks the same as yours, it probably is. The XM changed from IR to radio in '95, if the Xantia is the same it will be a radio type. The usual problem with these is dry joints on the PCB, if you are any good a brain surgery, remove the PCB and examine it very closely, with a magnifying glass, if you are anything like as old as me, look for cracks in the soldered joints on the component ends, if you find any, resolder them with a very small iron.
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

Thanks Peter next question how do you remove the PCB i dont want to break it into a million pieces
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

Ok,got the PCB out,it looks like something like liquid has been spilt on it at some point near the buttons & possibly burnt out one of the chips perhaps, are they replaceable?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I wouldn't know where to ge the chips, but give it a good clean with meths and a small paint brush and it might come back to life. If it was anything corrosive like a fizzy drink you will probably find bits dropping off but it should survive coffee.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

you will find them listed on E Bay for around £20 s/hand. If you want to know how to re programme the pre 1998 model come back to me.