BX (Petrol) Injection, fuel leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JimW
My Cars:

BX (Petrol) Injection, fuel leak

Post by JimW »

Apologies if this is common knowledge, but I can't recall seeing this topic discussed before.
After quite a saga getting the necessary new parts fitted and - eventually - the BX through the MOT, I was pretty relieved.
I started to use it again (been off the road for a few weeks by then) - almost immediately we noticed a really strong petrol smell, not in the car but typically when getting out, and for a while after parking.
Obviously there was something wrong and I stopped using it, had a think, then, at the first opportunity tried to find the leak (or whatever). As I'd just replaced the steel fuel pipes, the flexible pipe connections were prime suspects - don't forget a Petrol Injection BX has the feed fuel line under pressure.
Obvious really - but no, these were fine.
After a few minutes under the car with the Ignition on, I couldn't really miss the fuel dripping off both sides of the rear subframe, on the O/S (right side), basically either side of the sphere and not too far from the pump and filter. There was really quite a lot of petrol dripping off by now!
I hoped that this was something as simple as a split fuel filter, although unlikely as I'd only replaced it a year or two ago. Of course it was fine, as was the pump and linking pipework.
So I had to start groping up around on top of the subframe (which is where the fuel line goes from the filter), sure enough, in this <i><b>very </b></i>inaccessible place, there was something that seemed to be leaking.
With the wheel and the suspension arm bump stop off, I was able to get limited access to the part in question - sure enough it was leaking. After a bit of a struggle I managed to get it off - as with many things Citroën, it's fairly easy when you know how...
I think I'd decided it was a probably a damper, it was pretty rusty and had rusted right through in one place, hence the leak.
My local Citroën dealer revealed it's called a Pulsation Buffer, however the bad news is that it's £44.29 (including VAT). I decided I had little choice and ordered it - the Citroën part no. is "1563.89".
When it finally arrived, I had a look and - not surprisingly - it's a standard Bosch part (0 280 161 030). My original was too rusty to even see the manufacturer, let alone the part no.
Obviously fitting it cured the fuel leak, and all is now well.
However, I wasn't too happy about the price I'd paid for it, so I looked on the Internet, found my local Bosch stockist and gave them a call.
I just quoted the Bosch part number on the Citroën-supplied Pulsation Buffer, sure enough they confirmed that it's a Bosch part. It would have to be ordered, for next day delivery (e.g. a good day quicker than Citroën, in this case). The price - £28.38 inc.
I find it hard to believe that the buying power of PSA wouldn't allow them to get this part significantly cheaper than my local Bosch place, so we can only guess what their profit margin is on it....
As far as I'm aware, the likes of GSF don't stock this part, which surprised me as there must be a fair few Bosch Jetronic/Motronic equipped cars still around, and I'm sure most of them will use a fuel damper like this. As far as I can make out, all Petrol Injection BXs (16s & 19s) use the same Bosch part - but I'm prepared to be corrected here.
On my 17 year old BX, I've already replaced (or had replaced) the steel fuel lines and the flexible ones that run up into the engine compartment. But of course these are easily visible and can quickly be checked for rust, cracking, leaks etc. All the rear flexible pipes appear to be alright as well. So in my opinion the Pulsation Buffer is a bit of a danger (at least on old cars, exposed to a climate like ours) as I had no clue that it was badly rusted, or that it was beginning to leak. In fact, to be honest, I had no clue that there even <i><b>was </b></i>a Pulsation Buffer, as the Haynes Manuals don't appear to show or describe it.
So, my recommendations:
<ul><li>If you have a Petrol Injection BX (and they're all at least 11 years old now), you really want to be checking your Pulsation Buffer for rust at least once every couple of years. Obviously this only applies if you haven't replaced it in the last few years.</li><li>If you need a replacement, just contact your local Bosch parts stockist - it'll save you almost £16 and probably a day or two's wait, compared with Citroën, that is.</li></ul>
Of course it would be great if GSF could save us even more money by stocking this part...
I hope this is of some use, and especially that it might help someone avoid a serious fuel leak and - worst of all - the potential consequences (as the leaking fuel wasn't that far from one of the exhaust boxes).
Jim.
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

i had the very same problem a few years ago with mine! although from my dealers it was significantly cheaper! just under £14 i think! However, several of the members of the 16v club have simply by-passed there's with no ill effect!