In case of emergency - ICE

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ninebob

In case of emergency - ICE

Post by ninebob »

This is a good idea.
http://www.eastanglianambulance.com/con ... =646104183
Quote:
.....By entering the acronym ICE for 'In Case of Emergency' into the mobile's phone book, users can log the name and number of someone who should be contacted in an emergency.
The idea follows research carried out by Vodafone that shows more than 75 per cent of people carry no details of who they would like telephoned following a serious accident.....
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Brilliant idea and a very useful piece of information!
Have now added ICE to my phone book (all three of them!)!
Thanks
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

thats fine, but don't you keep your phone pin locked in case its stolen?
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

ha, do you know many seconds it takes to get past the lock these days!
Besides that i turn my phone of like twice a year, so it would be pointless. That and imunlikely to have a crash then turn my phone off. The pin lock only works when turning the phone on! Regardless of the pin lock it's still a good idea, not to mention if the phone is locked/flat/destroyed you can still get the sim card out and get the number from that. I know that when i go out on the town i will often take a single debit card, single or occasionally three keys and the old phone, not a lot to ID someone on!
Conversely having working in the mobile industry for number of years, i'm aware that pin numbers are useless as are just about every type of prevention scheme as anyone who uses there phone alot (400+minutes a month) will inevitably loose the phone at some point, so the only solution is to make sure to keep a backup of number and have decent insurance!
Another thing against pin codes is that its much harder to get a phone back to its owner. Recently i found a phone in the back of a cab. A numbe kept calling and i answered and from that managed to get the phone back to the owner the following day. Interestingly the guy who kept calling and later brough the owner to a meeting point drove a BX TZD, so i was very happy!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Its OK but I carry a little laminated card in my wallet listing all my conditions, my NHS number, where my MRI and CT scans are held and NOK contact details as well as medication and doses, and popular opioid based analgesics that tend to stop me breathing in big red letters.
All this (if I got munched up) would help save me, but trying to get hold of SWMBO would be a nightmare, plus she would probably get my medication half arsed anyway - besides as im worth more in a pine box, who's to say she would not delibaratly "forget" a few details....
Ok so probably not everyone is as fecked up as me - but paramedics still check for wallets for ID / medical details.
ninebob

Post by ninebob »

I see the BBC News site has now picked up on it as a good idea:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4674331.stm
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its a good idea, but my personal phone is so old I doubt that any paramedic or copper under 25 would be able to work it!! (ericsson A1018S....my children are as embaressed by it as they are by the BX.........) and my government issue Nokia, well, I have to ask the kids how to work it!!
I thought that paramedics always did their own tests for medical conditions and blood groups, regardless of what documentation they find on you, the reasoning being that you may have just stolen it or found it before you got run over and became unconscious....
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bxbodger</i>

I thought that paramedics always did their own tests for medical conditions and blood groups, regardless of what documentation they find on you, the reasoning being that you may have just stolen it or found it before you got run over and became unconscious....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well, the paramedics dont do these sorts of things - most likely the only thing they would do would be puseoximetry and a blood glucose - though they do tell you a bit, full heamatology testing reqires a small lab!.
They do take the info in your wallet quite seriously, especially if its backed up by any medication they find with you as well. TBH its the hospitals job to sort out the medical bits at their end - but if you do have an allergy or medical condition its wise to keep details in your wallet / purse as the paramedics will err on the side of caution and not issue you with mediation which may caue anaphalaxis or other contraindications.