BX Diesel release bearing misfit ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sketch
My Cars:

BX Diesel release bearing misfit ?

Post by sketch »

Hey everyone,
While changing my clutch today using all the tips received here (thanks!), I noticed that the new release bearing I ordered is different from the old one.
The new one has plastic retaining clips while the old one has a steel one. The old clip fits around the fork, but the new one is to narrow. What should I do? Get a new bearing, an other fork or can I just grind the sides of the current fork and make it fit ?
Thanks for thinking with me,
Tom
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

its the wrong type of bearing, i have a couple of the plastic ones as GSF sent me the wrong ones twice! However give them a call (assuming thats where you got it from) and explain your problem. When i had this problem i called them at like 4pm and by 9am the next morning the replacement had arrived, which says a lot about there speed of service!
Dont try to mod it as its guaranteed to fall off. If you didnt get it from GSF try calling them to see if they can supply or try a local factors, its the sort of thing that should be easy to get hold of!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thats the diferance between old type and new,old one has a pressed steel fork that pivots on ball pin,later fork is a shaft pivoting in two nilon bushes and the bearing sits on two fingers the later being the plastic one regards malcolm
BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

That's always the same problem... When buying a BX 16/19/Non-TurboDiesel clutch, the parts supplier will ask if you want a clutch for a BX until 1989 or since 1989. When you have a BX that was made before 1989, there will be no problem. But if you have a younger BX, the clutch won't fit, because Citroën never changed the clutch mechanism on the BX models except for 16V, TurboD and 4WD. These 3 variation ALWAYS had the new mechanism. I don't know why every parts supplier gives this wrong information, but this problem also exists in Germany. Never buy a clutch for a BX since 1989. That will only fit into a ZX or Xantia...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

GSF ask which way reverse is,trouble is you can still end up with wrong bearing,the differance to look for is what type of fork you have,either with cable going strait onto fork leaver arm which uses bearing bearing with plastic suround ,or where cable goes to a leaver which operates a push rod that pushes fork regards malcolm
sketch
My Cars:

Post by sketch »

whow! thanks for all the info, I'll call my supplier with this info! (my supplier lives in GB, I live in the Netherlands)
Thank you (again) for all the valuable information!
Yours,
Tom