Battery or alternator, arrrrghhh!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

naxia
My Cars:

Battery or alternator, arrrrghhh!!!

Post by naxia »

Hiyas guys,
Wonder if anyone can helpp, i have a Citroen XM, 2.1TD auto, SED.
The problem i have is that the battery is having problems.
It stinks!!!! it keeps producing a really bad eggy smell, the neighbours are blaming the sewage company and it keeps leaking acid.
Ihave look around a bit a nd quite find what im looking for.... i think it may be somthing to do with the alternator regulator, would that be right, if so how would i tell or check.
If it that hoe would i replace it, with what and where from.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If your XM has a Bosch or one of the french branded alternators (like Valeo f.i.) its a matter of replacing the charge module. This is located on the rear of the alternator fixed with 2 small bolts.
If it is a Mitsubishi however - you will need to swap the alternator as this brand is much more troublesome to DIY on.
Once alternator problem is sorted - you better replace the battery. But NOT until you are DEAD sure the alternator is 100% OK.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

First of all check the on charge voltage across the battery it should be about 14 volts, if as Anders suspects the regulator is faulty it will read considerably more, but the same problem could be caused by a duff cell in the battery, which you would probably notice as it would affect the batteries performance.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

A good indication of a defective alternator regulator (overcharging) is that the lights will work rather better, the wipers will go beserk and the indicators will sound quite animated.
jeremy
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I had a van once that was over charging the battery, it eventually boiled it dry then all the bulbs blew, it wasn't until then that I realised what the smell was.