Oh Dear!!!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

howiedean
My Cars:

Oh Dear!!!!

Post by howiedean »

Oh Dear I think I'm in trouble I've got my dad looking for his first Xantia 1.9td[}:)] I think this is going to be a nightmare.
Martyhpkirk and Dave Bamber please talk him out of it as he lives not far from you guys in Chorley[:o)]
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Ha! No way baby, he should carry on and get one. I sold a 2 year old Berlingo HDi and bought a 12 year old BX, so don't go asking me for sensible advice[:p]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Sensible and car purchases dont go together in my book.
Buy what you want to, In my price range they will all go wrong so may as well buy something you can enjoy and also know how to fix :-)
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Nope, no use asking me to talk him out of it - if he wants a Xantia (esp a TD) then go for it.
I have 3 cars , all Cits, 2 HP, 1 not. I also have a BSc in mental health and know Im barking. Get him to dial up http://www.woollard.com.btinternet.co.uk/ and inwardly digest all that Mr. W has to say.
Then get him to find a BX TD instead......
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

oddly enough dont you have one of those for sale marty :-)
but seriously I've only owned a petrol xantia and can only see a diesel being a better car, go for it.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

BX has been given a reprieve (for now)
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Thanks for all your replies.
We are off tomorrow to look at a couple of Xantia's both 1.9 Mk2's and a couple of Xsara 1.9 td's
Regards
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Make sure he buys a proper Citroen, since Dave and Marty have so kindly volunteered to help him out when things aren't as they should be. [:)]
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Nope, no use asking me to talk him out of it - if he wants a Xantia (esp a TD) then go for it.
I have 3 cars , all Cits, 2 HP, 1 not. I also have a BSc in mental health and know Im barking. Get him to dial up http://www.woollard.com.btinternet.co.uk/ and inwardly digest all that Mr. W has to say.
Then get him to find a BX TD instead......
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
BX [:(] Marty he's 72, I don't want to finish him off just yet.[:D]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by howiedean</i>

My fathers 75 and much prefers the Xantia to his ride - its only my mother who hates driving who says its <i>"too big". </i>(the car)[}:)]
Then I took him for a ride in the BX <i>"Its smooth isnt it"</i> were his comments there.
Get a Xantia - cheaper than the equiv Pug or Reno, lovely ride, fairly straight forward to fix, and if you get one without a passenger airbag you have a lovely grab rail to make it easier for people to get in & out.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by howiedean</i>

Get a Xantia - cheaper than the equiv Pug or Reno, lovely ride, fairly straight forward to fix, and if you get one without a passenger airbag you have a lovely grab rail to make it easier for people to get in & out.
And so they have something to hold on to when the cornering gets enthusiastic...
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Well, we've bought a 2000W Xantia HDI 90BHP Saloon (twin airbags) with 104,000 in good condition and it's been chipped.[:D]
The bad part is that it drives better than mine!!!
The price was not bad £1200 with a part ex (very tired and poorly Ford KA).
I'm off now to get the cam belt and oil changed.
Regards.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

I'm off now to get the cam belt and oil changed.
Regards.
Nice[8D]
Ive got a W plate too (chipped) - let me know of any problems with the milage of the car as mine has done only 44K (so it gives me somethingto watch for). Let me know how much the cam belt costs or how hard it is to do yourself as i was planning on doing mine at 55k (I NEVER let them run to the manufacturers limits).
What can I say £1200 - cheap as chips - mine rushed me £3500 a year ago.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Marty,
We are getting the belt done at Ron Kitson, Greys garage on Chorley Old road. I'm not sure of the cost but he's been very good in the past, he also mentioned getting the Kit for this job (tensioners). I checked the LHM and it needs changing so I'll see what they charge for this. The fuel filter and air filter will be changed at the same time.
I'm sending dad to National tyres for the oil change, they are doing a deal £20 fully synthetic + filter change.
I'm off back to Lincolnshire tonight otherwise I'd be doing some of the servicing myself.
Regards
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

I checked the LHM and it needs changing so I'll see what they charge for this. The fuel filter and air filter will be changed at the same time.Regards
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Would be worth Hydraflushing at that milage. £10 gets a 5L tub which your dad can run for 1200 miles - then change it all again. Ive had mine in for less than 100 miles on the BX - and its bloody disgusting already.
Has it had spheres / fluid changes by anyone in the past?
If your dad gets stuck Im not a zillion miles away (near the Brig) and usually have a few bits floating about.