Rear brakes squeeling

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Rear brakes squeeling

Post by Fox »

I'm on a roll tonight :)
Be nice if I can get all these issues fixed.
94 TD SX Xantia.
Bought the car in June - the previous owner had all new discs/pads just before he MOT'd the car in April. Whoever did it was obviously some form of monkey, as they'd left the brake pad wear cables on the front brakes dangling against the discs themselves, wearing through the cable, lighting up the light on the dash. Fixed this easily enough.
Soon after I got the car the brakes started to squeel - front and rear. I put this down to the pads etc bedding in, but after 600 miles the problem was still there. So, off comes the front brake pads - no copper grease or anything there. Added some, front brake squeel fixed. Problem now is that the rear brakes were still doing it. So, same thing, off comes the wheel, no copper grease. Added some. Interestingly, there were no anti-rattle shims present on the rear brakes either. Wheel back on, and off we go. But it still squeels. Often very loudly - loud enough for people to look, and loud enough for me to cringe in embarrasment when I'm carrying people in my car. Takes the shine of the 'What a comfortable car' comments I sometimes get :)
Any ideas what I can do here? Seems the idiots who fitted the replacement stuff messed up, but I've no idea who did it so cannot go back and rant. Could the lack of anti-rattle shims be the cause here?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Rear brakes squeeling are normaly down to a thick build up of corrosion between the caliper mounting face and the trailing arm, you need to unbolt the caliper and chip it all away from the caliper, then a good smear of copper grease and refit the caliper, if it is left as it is the corrosion will actually push the caliper over, bending the bolts until it rubs against the disc.
Take the pads out and look directly down on the caliper, its probably on its way over now, the gap should be the same between the disc and the inside of the caliper on both sides of the disc.
Unclip the brake pipe from the trailing arm, remove the disc and you can do the job without disconnecting the brake pipe.
Good luck
Dave
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

Well, I have the same problem on my 1.8i from 1993 (110 000 km). I'm not the first owner of the car. In April this year I have replaced all 4 breake pads in garage. Since then strange noise has not stopped. Last month they told me, in order to solve this problem, I need to replace discs and pads, 'cause pads do not fit 100% on discs (something like discs are worn and new pads do not lean to them 100%)They have done the job with caliper(s) (blocking rear driver's) but after week or two noise returned back. Is it necessary to go for replacing all the discs and pads (maybe and the calipers) 'cause it is large investment in car? Sorry for bad English.
Best regards from Croatia!
Green tooth
geoff_old

Post by geoff_old »

Hi. Have a XM brake squeel was driving me mad, tried all usual things and found that EBC black brake pads cured all problems and as a bonus there is vertually no brake dust and no visable disc wear. My son has also used them on his bx (with new discs)and 15000 miles later the mechining marks are still visable on the discs,they are "as new". He does not hang about and drives the car quite hard.Have no connection with EBC, just satisfied.
Cheers
Geoff.
G Gould
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I can add some weight to that Geoff, Iv'e been using EBC kevlar pads for years and they don't chew into the disc's like other pads, wouldn't bother with anything else now, but even these will squeel if the calipers are being heaved over by corrosion.
Dave
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I can add some weight to that Geoff, Iv'e been using EBC kevlar pads for years and they don't chew into the disc's like other pads, wouldn't bother with anything else now, but even these will squeel if the calipers are being heaved over by corrosion.
Dave

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Hello,
I wonder how long "cleaning" of calipers from corrosion will protect my ears and discs/pads. The reason I'm asking that is because I was suggested to replace all pads (done it in April) and discs by garage here in Croatia in order to fix the squeeling of brakes. This is big investment, comparing to fixing the calipers. What is your suggestion & experience? Of course any other person's opinion is the most wellcome.
Green tooth
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

So, nobody answers?
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

Fixed the problem by replaeing the all discs and pads!
Mike1703
My Cars:

Post by Mike1703 »

On my old BX, This problem ended up being down to the Doseur valve. It seems the valve 'holds off' the brakes & when it wears, they begin to bind, squeeking louder as the valve wears. In my case I could stop the car on a sloap and leave it with no handbrake on, but after the suspension had sunk.....it rolled away! Changing the valve solved the problem.
Gaz
My Cars:

Post by Gaz »

Mike, This valve could you tell me where it is, how much it was and the price of fitting if necessary (or did you do it yourself)?
Thanks
Gaz
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The dozeur valve is the brake valve, if you know where the master cylinder is on an ordinary car you should be able to find it, if you don't, look at the pushrod on the brake pedal, this acts on the brake (dozeur) valve, then lift the bonnet and you will know where to look and see what sort of job it is to replace, loads of pipes to remove.
They are about 85 quid plus vat on here, be sure you need one as they rarely cause trouble, when they do go down its usually in a big way, they are a very important part of the car and so are well made and see long service.
Dave
sonvue

Post by sonvue »

My rear bake squeal was not cured by removing rust as there wasn't any. However I do have a sort of pump action going on during heavy braking and have been told this is the doseur valve so this could link in with what you are saying about locking the rear brakes. You did not say how difficult it was to replace the doseur valve?