BX mk2 engine swap

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sketch
My Cars:

BX mk2 engine swap

Post by sketch »

Hey everyone,
excited about changing a clutch I stumbled upon a _very_ nice BX TZD. Is is about the same car as I have but with 100k less (180k on clock) and all the fancy stuff. My question: how much harder is an engine swap compared to a clutch change (which I have to do anyway).
If I'm going to swap the engine, what problems should I expect (I'm mostly interested in the things that cost money, I don't have a lot of that). I've got a full week to do the swap but I reckon it can be done in two days?
Any advice is welcome,
Tom
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

personaly if your asking this question o wouldnt do it with out help.
it should take 2-3 days to swap the engiens which isnt bad but thats assuming you know what your doing when you put it all back together. i now take lots of pictures while doing thigs and lable connectors up (when your gealing with an activa its a fair bit harder than a BX but with everything labled up well you cant go wrong.
Andy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Jon (Forum Administrator) has done a great deal of work on BX TD in the last 8 months or so and if you search you will find details of the work he has done, his tips and some photos. (Jon, all forums last year - BX engine seemed to through up loads)
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its not to bad a job as you can drop the hole lump out from underneath,once you have it on the floor you can split engine and box fit your new clutch stick it all back to gether bobs your doodar whatsits you aunt regards malcolm
BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

If you have good equipment, especially a crane to lift the engine out, the engine swap can easily be done within one day. If you're really experienced it will only take 1.5 hours to take everything out of the engine compartment. On a BX Diesel there are only two electrical connections under the battery tray, a few coolant hoses and the fuel hoses. Very easy compared to modern cars...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

When I was doing the clutch on the '94 Xantia, my Dad suggested it would be easy to drop the engine out, it looked like rather a lot of pipes and wires would have to be undone but that aside its not a bad job, not much worse than dropping the gearbox.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes but you dont have diconect any of the engine fittings when doing a clutch,regards malcolm