can i fit a different map sensor ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mosser
My Cars:

can i fit a different map sensor ?

Post by Mosser »

My Xantia is running rich and pinking under load uphills and i think its down to the map sensor having failed because if i unplug it and clean it, it is fine for a few days then it runs bad again,
Thing is that new ones are about £60+ but i have found generic map sensors that connect to the inlet manifold by a rubber pipe, can i fit one of these instead and just leave the old one in place but disconnected ?, cos i can get a generic one for a tenner and with a bit of pipe and placing in higher than the inlet manifold should stop oil getting into it,
Does anyone think it might work with a different (peugeot) map sensor ?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Map sensors are standardised so it should work allright. Only problem is any connections - which you probably can figure out pretty easy.
Are you sure you want all that hassle - and possible miss - to save a single or few bucks ?
GSF online shop :
N92538 MAP SENSOR XANTIA 1.6/1.8 38.50
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

if you put a cheapy petrol filter (the little ones about the size of a cotton reel) in the map sensor pipe it stops oily deposits getting to your nice new sensor. £1.50 for a new filter every few years seems well worth it to me.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I think its worth changing it as the standard one bolts directly to the underneath of the inlet manifold and picks up all the muck, it seems a far better idea to use a remote one on a piece of pipe and i will fit a petrol filter in line with it, cheers