XM SPHERES

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

topcat
My Cars:

XM SPHERES

Post by topcat »

Hi there[:)], new to the forum, good to know that's there's a decent place that can help me out with any problems that I may encounter with my recent purchase a 92 XM 2.0i AUTO.
Just one to start with regarding sports/auto selection....
am permantly in sports mode even when auto is selected. Having looked at the service record I know that the four corner spheres were re-gased 18 months ago, it has been suggested that the problem could be with the two central spheres that regulate the other four. I spoke to a chap who says he can replace both of these spheres (parts & labour) for £114. I don't mind paying this amount if it's going to solve the problem, but this seems quite alot of money to part with without knowing whether it is definitely the cause of the problem.
Is there any way of checking??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS TONY
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

You can find some information here:
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/sus ... suspn.html
Unfortunately, I do not have any other pieces of advice - I decided at the very last second to pick up BX instead of XM.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The HA system is kept in "sports" (hard suspension) mode whenever the speed is more than 30mph - maybe even at lower speeds depending on other circumstances. Please note that whatever you select the switch to be - the computer ALWAYS override if necessary.
In other words : the sports mode is not really any different - other than the hard suspension is preferred by computer a bit more often.
In hard mode the center spheres are NOT connected - i.e. not used.
Only at low (cruising) speed the center spheres are connected.
AFAIR the soft mode is maintained approx 1 minute after engine shut-off - then the system automatically reverts to the default hard mode.
As long as the car is at standstill with engine idle the system will maintain the soft mode.
The suspension should then feels softer if there is any pressure left in the center spheres - by the usual jerking test.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

The HA system is kept in "sports" (hard suspension) mode whenever the speed is more than 30mph - maybe even at lower speeds depending on other circumstances. Please note that whatever you select the switch to be - the computer ALWAYS override if necessary.
In other words : the sports mode is not really any different - other than the hard suspension is preferred by computer a bit more often.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Wouldn't a 92 XM be Hydractive 1 ? In which case the "sports" mode is just an "always firm" button, unlike Hydractive 2 where in either mode the computer still chooses the mode but the thresholds change...
Regards,
Simon
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mandrake</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

Wouldn't a 92 XM be Hydractive 1 ? In which case the "sports" mode is just an "always firm" button, unlike Hydractive 2 where in either mode the computer still chooses the mode but the thresholds change...
Regards,
Simon
Probably ...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the centre spheres are flat it will always feel as if it is in sport mode because even if the solonoid valve opens there is nowhere for the fluid to go.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

If it's a Series 1, then the default condition for the hydractive system is Sports mode. In other words, you need to electrically energise the selector valves to obtain Auto. A bad earth will prevent this, as will a blown fuse; suggest you check this before you spend big bucks changing spheres.
topcat
My Cars:

Post by topcat »

thanks for all replies
would it help me to establish firstly whether i have a series 1 or 2 ???
how do i find out??
TONY
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

'92 would be series 1. Series 2 came out late '94, has chevrons in centre of grill, curved instrument binnacle and 'script' type rear XM badge on right side of tailgate.
topcat
My Cars:

Post by topcat »

thanks PETER.N.