Anyone replaced a Xantia tailgate before?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

macaroni
My Cars:

Anyone replaced a Xantia tailgate before?

Post by macaroni »

Hi,
I intend to replace the damaged tailgate of my 1996 Xantia with a good one (obviously!).
I just wondered if anyone has done this job before and can warn of any possible pitfalls?
Cheers,
Antony
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Use at least 3 people to do it, 1 on each side and 1 to undo the nuts, you will be suprised how heavy a tailgate is once its off the car
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

yeh I would agree with this.
I've changed a boot on a ZX, that can be done on your own, but its a bit akward.
You'd defently need atleast two of you with a xant tailgate.
I'd start buy removing as much 'stuff' out of the tailgate as possable, then remove the two hinge split pins & then each gas strut.
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Thanks very much for the replies. I do intend to tackle this job when my Dad visits me next month.
My major concern was the wiring that goes down each side of the tailgate. I could see any useful plug to disconnect them. Is there such a thing?
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I think the connector for the boot wiring hides in the roof lining about 6 inches from the back slightly off to the left from centre, but someone that knows for sure will probably confirm if i am right or wrong in a while
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The rear washer pipe runs in the O/S tube, all the way along the roof by the driver head, down the 'A' piller to the pump in one length. So carefully remove it from old tailgate first or get a pipe joiner but don't put that where the pipe will bend.