which sphere now?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aitnax
My Cars:

which sphere now?

Post by aitnax »

I recently changed the accumulator sphere on my 1997 1.9TD sx estate.
Now the rear drops after switching the engine off. It takes about one one or two hours to drop to the point where the top of the tyre is level with the wheel arch.
Question is Do I now have to replace on eof the rear spheres ? In addition I have read on the foreum that there is an anti-sink <b>valve</b>, (as opposed to <b>sphere</b>).
Help would be appreciated.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My XM doesn't have anti sink, so it sinks! as long as it rides OK or you particularly want it to stay up, I wouldn't worry about it.
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

Anti sink valve it what controls the sink. The anti sink sphere is in fact an accumulator sphere for the rear brakes in case of system failure.
If the valve is duff/ clogged, then the rear will sink once the system pressure drops everywhere else after the engine is turned off. How far does the rear drop? It should drop a little once you get out as the height corrector will adjust the height after the weight inside the car drops. Then, it should take several weeks for the rear to drop all the way down to the bump stops. My car drops a little over a few hours so that the top of the rear tyre is level with the arch but thats where it stops, it doesn't sink any further. The old systems (and one with a kaput anti sink system) will sink all the way in a matter of minutes so the arse end is on the floor.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chrispy</i>

Anti sink valve it what controls the sink. The anti sink sphere is in fact an accumulator sphere for the rear brakes in case of system failure.
If the valve is duff/ clogged, then the rear will sink once the system pressure drops everywhere else after the engine is turned off. How far does the rear drop? It should drop a little once you get out as the height corrector will adjust the height after the weight inside the car drops. Then, it should take several weeks for the rear to drop all the way down to the bump stops. My car drops a little over a few hours so that the top of the rear tyre is level with the arch but thats where it stops, it doesn't sink any further. The old systems (and one with a kaput anti sink system) will sink all the way in a matter of minutes so the arse end is on the floor.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hours, not minutes.... if a non-antisink model drops to the bump stops in minutes there is a leak or problem somewhere...
Even my 17 year old GS would stay up at the back for a couple of hours, and several hours at the front...and it had a fairly sick accumulator sphere...
(It was one of the later model GS's that had the non-return valves feeding the suspension, the earlier models went down a lot faster in the front...)
Regards,
Simon