ZX TD engine transplant

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fin

ZX TD engine transplant

Post by fin »

Unfortunately i've blown the head on my ZX (all the water fell out the radiator while a was on the motorway) and we (me & my father who will be fixing it) are thinking of replacing the whole engine.
We've had some trouble finidng a ZX donor so we were thnking of getting an engine out of another car (probally a xantia, but maybe another car with the same engine, a 306 or 405 maybe) and i was wondering what the differences were between the different verions of the 1.9td in the different cars, and if it was problematic to change them over.
I know there is a thread somwhere else on this subject, but i cant find again it as the board's search engine seems to be a bit tempramental.
cheers, fin.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Xantia, 405, 306,the list is long, it usually just takes a swap of the loom if the connectors are different, also check flywheel/clutch type, more work than doing the head though if your motor is otherwise good.
Stewart
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

My engine in my ZX came from a 405. I believe it was a striaght swap.
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

405's have a different set up for the air con. all 405's after 91 came with air con. you will need to swap the front bracket that holds the power steering etc over and use the zx sump as well. 306 is the same, xantia has different intake/intercooler. there are smaller variations that merit less discussion, but those are the main ones i think.
there are plenty of breakers who will sell you a good engine from a zx, but a running bx td would be my choice (or do they have a hydraulic pump somewhere?
cheers
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Not all post '91 405s came with aircon. The vast majority sold here were base models alas. BX td engines are 1769cc but getting tricky to find in good nick as they usually have a serviceable BX hanging round them. They also feature a pump butit is easily removed. You'll need the ZX alternator though if you want to stop; the pump works the brakes, too.
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Oh yes. I forgot about them being 1769. the engine you transplant in will need the pump on the end of the camshaft for the brake vaccum as tom said. just swap the one over you have, making sure you have a camshaft with the slot for it and not the belt driven one on the new engine.
All 405's I have seen have had aircon, but maybe its later than 91 that the change. All 405's after a certain year definately came with a/c as standard. Even on base models. Maybe 95?
fin

Post by fin »

cheers for the replies, i've seen a few xantias and 405's about, hopefully i can find a cheap one with a decent engine.
fin

Post by fin »

I eventually found an 1.9td with 80k on the clock for 150quid, which came out of a crashed P plate estate that had been sitting for a few years. It is now in the car and is running OK but a bit sluggish. The timing belt was done by the previous owner either just before or after the crash, but by the look of the oil it needs a decent service. I was planning on running it till most of the fuel in the tank (which has been sitting for a few months) has gone, then changing the oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter.

Does it matter if i do the filters with the old fuel still in the tank - will sitting since july affect the fuel much? Is there anything else i should think about doing to the engine since it has been sitting for 2 or 3 years?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

mrbump wrote:All 405's I have seen have had aircon, but maybe its later than 91 that the change. All 405's after a certain year definately came with a/c as standard. Even on base models. Maybe 95?
Nope, sorry.

A/C was an option on many models, and became standard on later high spec models, but it was never standard on all models. Even the very latest low spec models didn't come with A/C as standard. The later 406 was also model dependent as to whether you got A/C or not.
This is not a signature.