xantia td engine ticks over at 1000 rpm update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

xantia td engine ticks over at 1000 rpm update

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys
my xant 19 td ticks over at 1000 rpm and wont run any slower even when you adjust the tick over speed any ideas
pete...................
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

What are you using to adjust the tick over speed? Are you adjusting the stop on the accelarator lever? Is it a Bosch pump or a Lucas? Do you have a waxstat cold idle device or a vacuum thingumy?
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Kowalski
Im adjusting the stop on the accelarator lever its a bosch pump with a waxstat cold idle device.
Pete..........................
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Can you tell whether the waxstat cable is slack or not? If the waxstat cable is slack, thats the cold idle setting, tight its hot idle (i.e. lower speed). I'm not exactly sure how it works internally, you could have a play with that cable.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi agian jeremy
well the part im adjusting is on the rear of the accelarator lever there,s a little adjusting screw with a locknut and the screw goes up agianst a little round plastic thing with a spring i think ive adjusted the wrong part so ill have to reset it to where it was the accelarator cable is a little slack.
pete...................
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I don't thinbk I've posted on this thread before!
I'm not very familiar with the Bosch pump and can't help here.
Jeremy
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi agian jeremy
it appear,s ive givin you the wrong info futher looking more into this it has got a vacuuum thing on of the fast idle cable the other end goes into the pump wich has the fast idle screw what ive done is to adjust the fast idle screw now it idles at roughly 950 rpm that is the slowest i can get i also noticed a box on the rear left of the bulkhead with vacuum pipe.s going to it one is going to the rear of the vacuum device well one of the small pipe,s is squashed were it bends so i think this could have a lot to do with this prob what do you think guys.
pete...................................
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I have changed 3 of the blue solenoids on my 2 Xantia TD's they don't last a long time, About £30 from the dealer, In normal driving they operate a lot so I think they just burn out or something
Follow the pipe from the vacumn thing to the bulkhead
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

thanks paranoid
yes the pipe goes to what looks like a aluminum box on the bulkhead that has got other pipes running from it one of them a plastic one has collapsed ill have to replace that one could possibly be part of the problem what do you think
pete
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Pipes go to 2 solenoids, one (blue) for cold running/ startup the other(green) to increase revs when the air/cons on, they are both pop rivetted on, 99.9% thats the problem, it has been on my 2 was messing about for ages with settings etc, it was that all along.
When its working correctly you will understand why the cable looks slack etc
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

I've had to replace the electrovalve that controls the idle speed on my '97 Xantia, it was a while ago, it seems to be a fairly common failure part and expensive for what it is.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

thanks Kowalski
Were is the electrovalve and what does it look like. sounds like you have the same model as me mine,s an sx 1.9 td 97 has yours got aircon. Paranoid just out of interest were are the 2 solenoids as i think my car could be different to yours.
pete.....................
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

At the back of the lhm tank,under one of the nuts there is a metal bracket they are rivetted to this, its easy to see once the large rubber intake pipe is moved across (2 jubilee clips)
Access isn't to bad once the view is clear, only takes about 15 minutes to do the whole job, replace rivets with self tapers etc
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Thanks paranoid
ill go and have a look now ill let you know what i find.
pete........................
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Pete.......tried to get a photo for you, but its was to dark/wet and they came out crap.
I'm off wednesday If you don't mind waiting!!!!!!