White Smoke help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Allanxantia
My Cars:

White Smoke help!

Post by Allanxantia »

Hello,
Posted last week as I was changing head gasket on my Xantia 1.9D. Got head pressure tested and skimmed, they had to take alot off and suggested a 5 notch gasket. Got it started eventually a pain to start and it has been really smoky ever since, bluish white smoke, smells of diesel. It is not steamy at all. It is still a bit of a pain to start and the smoke dies down a bit but is fairly constant. Am I right in thinking this is air getting in fuel system somewhere, check filter, pipes etc??
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Does it smoke on startup only or all the time? If its startup only it could be a glowplug or two or air. If it does it all the time the first line of attack would be air.
How old is it? which pump - bosch or rotodiesel?
Jeremy
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

It smokes all the time so I am fairly sure it is a fuel related problem. It is a 93 model. Not glowplugs as previous owner replaced them in Nov 04. would a leak round about the fuel filter somewhere cause this?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Check your timing, you could possibly have the pump retarded by a notch, is the performance as you would expect? the white smoke is almost certainly unburnt fuel, low compression is the only other likely cause, how thick was your original gasket?
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

I changed the belt with the bolts and pin in so unlikely it is out a notch. Also the gasket was originally a 2 notch but the machine shop said they took an awful lot off to get it straight. Can't find any leaks now and I am rather puzzled, is it worth slightly adjusting the timing to see if that helps?
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

performance seems OK, but it is hard to tell as I bought it from a friend as a non-runner, my other car is an Impreza turbo so it seems really slow!
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

is it a possibility that you have the cam belt on a tooth out? Had similar symptoms on a bx on which timing was a mile out.
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

I'll double check the timing again tonight, I read on a couple of posts that the pumps can wear out slightly and need advanced. Not knowing diesels that well, it sounds sometimes like it is pinking a bit now that I think about it.
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi Alan,
The symptoms you describe could be 1 or 2 injector valves not seating properly, and alowing fuel to be injected prior to the correct timing point.
Run some injector cleaner through, this may resolve the problem.
Cheers
Brian
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

I did have the injectors out but put new spring washers and copper top washers in. I will take them off and refit them and stick some injector cleaner in.
Cheers
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You mention a leak around the fuel filter. I'd put money on this being the cause. Often leaks don't even let any fuel out - yet cause havoc - so if yours is leaking to the outside it really is a problem.
If you want to check you've eliminated all air leaks replace the last fuel delivery hose to the pump with clear plastic and go on looking and curing leaks until there is no air in this pipe.
If you have the Bosch pump the leakoff mipes and all parts of that system must be airtight as well. Roto-diesels just leak and smell!
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Did you use a locating pin in the flywheel? I don't usually as its such a pig to get at, I just mark the crankshaft sprocket and this has allways worked OK until I did a cambelt on a friends 309 and had similar problems, I actually found the belt was one tooth out on the crankshaft.
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

Will recheck the timing again tonight. Thanks Guys
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

on close examination tonight. timing perfect, no air leaks. Suspect a knackered injector. The inlet tract on cylinder two is all sooty whereas the other three are cleanish. It seems fine and smoke clears held at high revs, but idle is lumpy. If I connect the inector not in the engine and turn over, nothing comes out. Can the injectors be taken apart and cleaned?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

yes they can be cleaned but its not considered a DIY job. I've found instructions for doing the job on the net but haven't a clue where - seem to remember it was a CAV book and related to BMC 2.2 / 2.5 diesel. Context may be Landrover if you want to search.
jeremy