Front wheel bearings - 106

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

samcro

Front wheel bearings - 106

Post by samcro »

Anyone attempted to change the front wheel bearings on a 106? Is it hard? What should I watch out for? It's a 106 1.5D ('98).
lbos

Post by lbos »

What are th symptoms of them going? Mine has started to make a rumble that varies with pitch dependent on road speed (engine has no effect on the pitch of the rumble).
samcro

Post by samcro »

Symptoms are:
Play in the front wheels (car jacked up and grab the wheel then try wiggling it)
Rumble/drone from front, varying a bit with speed. Generally quietest when heading in a straight line, or veering slightly left.
Driveshafts/CV joints were replaced recently but this didn't cure it. Driveshafts were 2nd hand so they may have iffy CV joints on them. The old ones were definately trashed. Boots on both sides came off and junk got in. There was visible wear in the joint.
For the last year or so there has been a high pitched chirp/sqeak from the front. Not loud, but audible above the engine/road noise.
The problems may have started when I went through a ford a few times a couple of years ago (the watery type, not the 4 wheeled type[:D]).
samcro

Post by samcro »

Going to have a go at changing the bearings this weekend. Will report back on how it goes.
samcro

Post by samcro »

Wheelbearings partially changed...
Got the RH one replaced. the old one was definately knackered (rust stained grease)The old bearing was removed with liberal use of a heavy hammer and the outer race of the old one was used to press the new bearing into the hub mount using careful tapping with a hammer and a bench vice (it's important that it goes in straight because if it tilts over in the hub mount it will jam and possibly wreck the outer race)
The LH one is partially in (had other commitments as well). Unfortunately the RH track rod end balljoint nut got damaged during removal so will need replacing before roadtesting the car again.
samcro

Post by samcro »

Latest update...
After another weekend of work (LHS coil spring cracked on removal of the suspension strut [:(!]) the car was finally put back together with new bearings on the front (and new spring).
Result: Rumbling noise GONE!!![:D][:D][:D]