306 DTurbo difficult starting

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pug_owner2002
My Cars:

306 DTurbo difficult starting

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Hi,
I have noticed over the last week or so that my 306 DTurbo is becoming increasingly difficult to start.
This happens whether the engine is hot or cold.
It used to start pretty much at the flick of the key but now it will just wind over and I have to try two or three times before it fires up.
The car is serviced every 6000 miles as stated in the service book and the glow plugs were replaced last year.
Any ideas?
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

could be the fuel filter.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

try pumping the pressure up by hand on the fuel system before you start the car as it could also be a pin hole/leak in he fuel line.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

or the braided pipe to the injectors is shot.
farmboy

Post by farmboy »

have a good look round for leaks, if you cant find any put a volt meter on the top of each glow plug to check your getting 12v and time how long you get it for (will need someone to help you) should be more then 30 seconds, if it doesnt you will not be heating your engine up. how long does the light stay on for on your dash? if all that is ok try priming the fuel with the hand pump if you still have no luck migth be worth getting your engine pressure tested as diesel need high pressure to start
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Thanks for the replies,
I have found that the middle pipe on the exhaust needs replacing as it is leaking.
Maybe this could be causing the engine not to be getting enough back pressure?
farmboy

Post by farmboy »

change it, but dont think it will make much difference, but who knows
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

I have tried for the last week or two not winding the engine over until waiting about about 20 seconds after the glow plug light has gone out and the car starts fine.
I can only guess that the cheap none genuine glow plugs are not getting hot enough in the specified time.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Although I have a 405, I read in Haynes that the glow plugs carry on heating for so long after the dash light goes out.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Yes thy run on for 5 mins as long as you don't touch the throttle, if you do they cut out instantly.
this is meant for very cold starts in the winter months.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

They run on for emisson reasons too and dont cut out the moment you rev it..
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;