Hi all. I need to identify this part and order it.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mikealgarve
My Cars:

Hi all. I need to identify this part and order it.

Post by mikealgarve »

Hi all. I need to identify this part and order it. I have a leak of hydro fluid. The local citroen mechanic calls it a "valve pignon" part number 4048H6.
Portugues registered:
Left hand drive
Citroen xantia X16C00
1761 petrol
year manufacture 1996
Any help would be appreciated.
[img]http://www.mikewhitehouse.co.uk/images/ ... 20leak.jpg"[/img][img]http://www.mikewhitehouse.co.uk/images/ ... xantia.jpg"[/img]
mikealgarve
My Cars:

Post by mikealgarve »

PS I want to order it from uk if poss
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Is that the pinion valve on the steering rack?
GSF do 3 different "STEERING PINION VALVE"s I'm not sure whether they're interchangable between left and right hand drive.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Yeah, I'd go along with that being the steering pinion valve. Different LH to RH drive AFAIK, so probably difficult to get a LHD one in UK. You might be able to get a seal kit and refurb the existing one though.
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

It is the steering pinion valve - I have several in my cellar! Mike I should order that locally if I were you - trying to put a RHD in a LHD car could lead to all sorts of delays.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

there are 2 possible parts...
part no 4048 F9
PINION VALVE - LEFT HAND DRIVE AND POWER STEERING

part no 4048 H6
PINION VALVE - LEFT HAND DRIVE AND POWER STEERING AND PRESS PUMP 6+2 + NON-SINKING
Andy
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If it is the pinion valve he is referring to, then I understand the kit used is the same as the ones used in the BX in which case it shouldn't matter where you buy it from, just rememeber though, that the hard rubber type rings that are fitted (3 off) are fitted to different slots on a LHD to a RHD and so it is essential to either take a photo of it when it is taken out of the car or at least do a diagram.
On this photo, it shows the job being done, but the rings are incorrect for a RHD car which is what this was supposed to be as I discovered when I did mine, photographed and discovered they didn't match.
http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~ynar/bxorg_a ... /m23e.html
Alan S
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

I got a kit to try to fix a leak in my 97 TD but the kit did not contain the right sized parts. Well, to clarify that, the diameter of the tops ( blue, red, green yellow etc) were all to small so I did not go any further in trying to disassemble/reassemble. If the top on the pinion valve you have is clear/whiteish then the kit does not have this part.
Brian
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianM</i>

I got a kit to try to fix a leak in my 97 TD but the kit did not contain the right sized parts. Well, to clarify that, the diameter of the tops ( blue, red, green yellow etc) were all to small so I did not go any further in trying to disassemble/reassemble. If the top on the pinion valve you have is clear/whiteish then the kit does not have this part.
Brian
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Brian,
If we're talking about the same things, those caps of various colours are merely dust caps and the idea I was told was to match the colour of the one already fitted to one of the colours in the kit. (ie) Replace a brown with a brown and so on.
My pinion seals were buggered due to a dodgy mechanic removing heat shields and not replacing them and as a result they got cooked.
Alan S
mikealgarve
My Cars:

Post by mikealgarve »

Well thank you kindly folks, you certainly answered that one. My mechanic has quoted 230 euros for a new valve! I can see now why he would install a new valve rather than play with the old one!
Still seems real expensive though!
If anyone can tell me were I can buy the valve I would appreciate it.
Thanks again for your help.
Regards
Mike
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Mike,
Have you gone to your citroen dealer. Did they quote 230 Euro as well? If you are having trouble I can assist you in geting the part. It can take a little time, though.