GSA starter motor problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vidfletch
My Cars:

GSA starter motor problem

Post by vidfletch »

I was sorting the wiring on my 2CV Sidewinder 1299cc GSA engined project tonight. I was only working out what fuses were for what lights etc. I never touched the battery or starter motor wires.
After sorting out that all this I tried to start the engine. The starter motor spins but it "sounds" like the teeth are not fully engaging on the flywheel as you can hear them clicking in rapid succession on every turn of the key.
Could the solenoid not be moving the starter cog forward enough? Could it be that the starter teeth have broken? I turned the engine manually with the starting handle and then went back to the key again. There is a clunk as though it hits a tooth on the flywheel then it's back to the rapid clicking! The lights had been on and off on the car several times as I tested the wiring etc., with only the battery providing power. The starter does spin no problem though.
Is this just coincidence that it happened after testing lights etc. I don't want to have to take the starter motor out as that involves taking the carb and N/S inlet manifold off etc. A pain in the bum!
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Vidfletch
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

How good/well charged is the battery? A discharged battery can cause a rapid ticking from the starter solenoid.
Otherwise it is possible that the teeth are not engaging - if the motor hadn't been used for a while some part of the sliding gear engagement mechanism may have stuck but I would have thought that if this was happening the motor would just click as it tried to engage the gear (but it may do so repeatedly which sounds like a grating of teeth)
I'm sure your GSA starter is a pre-engaged type with a solenoid lying alongside the motor itself. The purpose of the solenoid is to operate a yoke mechanism which propels the starter pinion gear into mesh with the flywheel and THEN turns on the main starter motor. This is intended to prolong the life of both the motor and the ring gear (when compared to the old British intertia arrangement) and so damage to either is unlikely.
Just a parting thought - did the starter and engine come together? Are they the correct combination?
Jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think jeremy is corect low battery,try charging or jump starting with leads to another bat/car,as for having to stip carb and manifold this is only so one out of all differant makes of starter motors,as one has very large diamater body,all the rest you can just about get them out but it is tight,i have got stacks of GS/A and dersh s/h parts if you need anything regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'll go with low battery (or poor connection). Enough voltage to engage the solenoid, which energises the motor, which causes a voltage drop sufficient to allow the solenoid to drop out, which allows the voltage to rise, which then provides enough voltage to engage the solenoid.... ad infinitum. Hence the clicking.
vidfletch
My Cars:

Post by vidfletch »

Hi!
The engine and starter came together. The engine starts and runs, until last night! LOL!!! After searching the forum the possibility of the battery being low seemed possible. I had thought however that the starter would just slow down and be difficult to start the engine. I understand how the starter works and I thought that the pinion wasn't moving far enough forward to engage on the flywheel. This is what the noise sounds like rather than the starter just clicking.
The starter motor body is quite large and access looks tight. I will try to get it out without moving all the other gubbins first. If it turns out that I can't get it to go!
I'll let you know!
Thanks again
Vidfletch
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

I have brokoen 2 GSA starter motors in half by running them with a low battery. Seems they try to climb the flywheel teeth, then break. Hope this hasnt happened with yours, but after doing this 3 times I learnt to have a good battery on my GSA!
vidfletch
My Cars:

Post by vidfletch »

Well!!! I hooked the jump leads on to the engine off my Jetta and hey presto!!! It turned over and started!!!
I won't try it again if the lights are being tested without hooking it up again. Once the exhaust is on properly it can run itself.
Thanks for all the help. My wife can stop panicking now!
Vidfletch
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

My friend had a GSA and he worked out that the starter motor will turn the engine over at normal speed but will never start it unless the alternator wires and all other electrical system wires relating to the starter, alternator and battery are connected properly. Very odd I know but he basically figured that the wire to the alternator needs to be connected.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the wire on alternator not conected will not stop it starting, there must have been somting elss not quite right,and i think rob if you broak starters it certanly could not be because of low battery,perhaps they wernt mounted properly or nose bush was knackerd regards malcolm
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

My GSA wound up with one tooth missing off the starter ring, and yes 9 time out of 10 it would stop with the gap dead opposite the starter..... the engine would only ever stall somewhere critical, the only solution being to bump it in gear to move the ring round a bit so it would start again [:D] [:D] [:D]
Pete
________
ZX14 VS HAYABUSA
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

most engines come to a stand still at either No1 or No4 that is why ring gear whears away at those two points regards malcolm