Xantia coolant loss?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gjb02
My Cars:

Xantia coolant loss?

Post by gjb02 »

Purchased a Xantia TD for my dad. I've done about 20miles in it now and it seems to have lost about a quarter of a litre of coolant.
There is a smell from the matrix...probable heater matrix leak, but I can't see any signs, yet.
Possibly a rad leak, but I can't see one, plus the rad looks almost new.
Possibly a water pump leak, again I can't see one.
Head gasket!!!! Car starts and runs fine...hot and cold. Some small bubbles in the expansion tank after revving the engine?? Could be!!
I mentioned the low coolant level to the previous owner, he seemed genuinely bemused, so I don't think he was trying to hide anything.
Still, I know where he lives!!![}:)][}:)]
It's done 184,000 what's it likely to be??
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Heater matrixs are not known for their long life in a Xant si it may weep but a quarter litre would have soaked the carpet by now. If the rad is newish, the bubbles may just be because the system has not been properly bled. I've known that cause an apparent loss of coolant where the air pockets suddenly fill and cause a water drop. Could be HG but unlikely unless other signs (pressurisation from cold in the header tank, white smoke etc).
184,000 miles - just nicely run in!!!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have you identified the correct coolant level? It probably won't run at the top mark ever but somewhere between the 2 marks and settle to itsown level. The lower mark may be about half way down the header if you have one of those tanks on the end of the rad. You may find it easier to find the mark with a torch in the dark!
The real test is does it go on loosing it?
If you're smelling antifreeze in the cabin the heater matrix has probably gone - can be replaced if you like long jobs - there are postings of experiences on here.
I'll probably be condemmed as a bodger but leak stopper may keep it running for some time - and will probably not cause any other problems - BUT don't keep putting more in as that will block everything.
Jeremy
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Could be a combination of two things...the heater matrix and the water pump.
Looked underneath and there were fresh drips of blue coolant. Damn that previous owner if he knew!!!
I asked him as well!
"Any problems with the water pump??.....Nooooo!" Lying git[:(!]!!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Caveat Emptor - buyer beware!
Jeremy
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I've had a couple of coolant issues with my Xantia.
First was a mystery loss of coolant (parked in someones driveway and came out to find a large puddle of green stuff.) and then 'that' smell inside the car.
External loss was eventually found to be caused by worn brushes in one of the radiator fan motors; fitted new brushes, problem solved, it was simply overheating.
Changed coolant and flushed system and then added a jar of leak sealer (as apparently recommended by Valeo when a new matrix is fitted these days) and the smell all gone.
Alan S