Satnav on the cheap!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Satnav on the cheap!

Post by CitroJim »

I bought one of those cheap INFORAD speed warning devices the other day. It's great at doing it's job of warning of the presence of fixed speed cameras but there's an unexpected bonus..
It's actually a little GPS receiver and down it's USB port flows GPS data that is readable by Microsoft AutoRoute. INFORAD make no mention of this feature in it's documentation.
So, one INFORAD, a little laptop and AutoRoute and viola, you have Satnav!! All for £70... Watching a picture of a little car moving along the map in AutoRoute is pretty good for keeping the young 'uns amused on a journey and helping find your way looking for obscure caravan parks.
If you don't have Autorote there are free GPS software packages availabe on the 'net which work with it.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

That is very interesting, I quite fancy GPS having used it at sea for ten years, can you post any links to the free GPS software?
Stewart
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I looked into it recently, fitted to a cheapish palmtop.
THe map of France was another £105 and needs annual updates (If the software house stays in business and doesn't Microsoft me,) so I bought another Michelin instead. £14 and I don't get lost in France. Two year life, so I'll be in pocket for the next fifteen years.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Nothing against sat nav or gadgets but have to say nice to see a good old fashioned solution to the problem Tom :-)
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

The Inforad output is ttl level serial data @ 4800bps , standard NMEA V2.
I built a little circuit to convert the ttl to RS-232 levels and connected it to an old iPaq. Mapopolis have free software ( you pay for the maps ) but also have free demo maps that expire after 9 days ( long enough to see if it's worth buying them ).
I loaded the whole of Lancashire @ street level and it coped well with giving voice guidance to the destination.
If anyone wants help interfacing one then let me know.
Pete
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

bought the inforad this week, after updating its database its working well, now on the lookout for a laptop.
Stewart