Correct water top up

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Correct water top up

Post by demag »

As mentioned in another post, when I had the cambelt replaced on my car I had to top up the coolant after.
In Haynes it says you must bleed the system correctly. I've looked everywhere but the only bleed I can see is on top of the rad.
Where are the others?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

hahaha.... on a 405! it hasn't got any, that's the problem.
There's a hose that comes off behind the fuel filter. follow it and there *might* be an inline bleed point on that hose somewhere. If not, loosen it from the thermostat housing and bleed it the hard way.
Same goes for both the flow and return to the heater matrix. Crack off the hose clips and vent the air out manually.
If both of these places are clear, the rest of the engine seems to bleed itself quite well.
On the 406, small bleed points were put at both of these locations. I was thouroughly unsurprised!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

405 TD's are horrible to bleed but the job is essential especially after swapping water pumps. My son's '95 one had a bleed valve but it was rock-solid and the top fell off when I tried to move it. I ended up pulling off one of the little hoses on the top of the rad (I think) and allowed coolant to bubble out with the engine running. This bled it effectively. Just be careful of scalding hot coolant and mess using this method.
I use the same method on the Xantia.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Thanks guys,
How do I know if I've got a problem? The heater seems to be working fine. The only thing I've noticed is the temp gauge is a bit eratic, sometimes up around 70deg and other times a lot less.
Other than that since I originally topped it up its hardly taken any more water. Before I had the pump done the temp gauge used to climb smoothly to 70 and stay there. I'd already fitted a new stat myself without problem.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

70c is too low for this engine. It should run somewhere between 80 and 90 to be correct. If it runs too cool the engine oil will never do it's job properly, and the engine will wear faster than it should. You may also find that it never drives off condensation and moisture properly.
Erratic temperature *can* ba caused by an air bubble by the thermostat, but it's most likely that your thermostat is either rubbish, or not working proplerly. The difference in accuracy of cheap and expensive thermostats is huge, so I'd go and get a decent one, and fit it.