lower ball joint nut - what am i doing wrong ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

roypch

lower ball joint nut - what am i doing wrong ?

Post by roypch »

I am attempting to remove the n/s drive shaft in my long journey to remove the clutch !. following the directions given in the forum and haynes manual.
I have removed the hub nut and now i am on to lowe ball joint nut.
The nut is loosened and it was halfway (half the nut lenth is out) out of the bolt. Then it started rotating with the lower arm bolt joint bolt (?). How am i supposed to get this nut of this thing ?
I am also suddenly having all sort of doubts on whether i am working on the right thing too. I am working on lowest nut, close to hub carrier, connected to a pivot like thing.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

With engine running and set on maximum height, with a axle stand slightly lower under the car, get a jack and lift the car by jacking it under the arm so it is forced to engage the ball joint again. This should stop it rotating on itself. Remove the nut. Remove the stand let the suspension fall on to the lowest point on the jack which should now be placed under the sub frame. Raise the car by the jack by the sub frame. You can then withdraw the drive shaft usually without removing the top ball joint. Remember to have a tray to catch the gearbox oil!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

try jacking the car under the wishbone to put some load on the nut. You can also lubricate the thered and tighten it a bit to work some oil onto the thread before undoing it again.
jeremy
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Roy, please ensure that the system is de pressurised fully before you remove the shaft, any probs get back to me.
roypch

Post by roypch »

Thank you. thank you. you are being so kind and helpful. But ...
I have removed the battery, air filter. clutch cable and many of brackets, etc, LHS reservoir.
I have poured WD40 on the Nut and Bolt thread but when tightening, it is still rotating together.
Is there someway I can do this without refitting all this!
Roy
roypch

Post by roypch »

ok, ok. my dumb brain is beginning to understand this a bit more. I can jack lower arm a bit up and make it engage the ball joint - so that the ball joint bolt part stop rotating. then undo the nut.
Is this ok ?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Yes, thats the idea- the weight of the car then bears on the ballpin and holds it still.
WD40 won't really help-its a lubricant rather than a penetrant/easer and will make the pin more slippery, not what you want!!
Give the ballpin threads a good scrub with a wire brush, that'l help as well.
roypch

Post by roypch »

thanks all. I got the nut out. Now i have to go out and buy and ball joint seperator tool to remove the pivot. is there anyway to seperate them without it ?
Also my clutch pivot liver on top of gear box is stuck. I managed to remove the pin connecting this to the pivot shaft after a lot of hammerings.
it seems funny that the lever arm won't come off the pivot shaft after removing the pin.
Thanks again
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

A lump hammer never failed me yet to free one.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

once you have jacked the lower arm to hold swivle pin and loosend nut right off,after removing jack you will need to wind nut back on so it is still loos to the fingers so you dont damage thread with hammer if you slip,then give side of arm nukle a clout with a club hammer this will seperate swivle joint again,mind not to hit swivle pin at all regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

cluth arm try rotating it each way as far as it will go a few times,this should seperate the arm regards malcolm
roypch

Post by roypch »

thanks Malcolm and John. I am going to have a go again with the lower arm.
regarding clutch arm/lever - I have tried moving it both way with hand, tried levering it up, hammering it with lump hammer everything. Is it held in place with something else ? Also would i do damage by hammering it down or levering it up at the point where clutch cable goes thru. i thought it will bend/break if i try too much force there with a large lever.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you knock it down you will smash lower nilon bush,do not resort to hitting or levering,arm should be able to go further round than spindle just try not to butcher it and use percy whatsit far more sutle regards malcolm
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The bushes on the lower arm are clamped, and they try to hold the arm up in its normal road wheel height position. When I did the clutch on mine I was hitting the arm with a hammer and it was seemingly stuck, it was in fact free but after each hit of the hammer it went back to its home position. You have to grab a hold of the arm and pull it down or you can try lifting the strut up.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i allways put block of wood on troly jack and jack up under hub of front disc then klonck arm side next to lower swivle,this gives arm somwhere to drop off regards malcolm