Problems with my new 806

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mgoodlad

Problems with my new 806

Post by mgoodlad »

Just taken delivery of 1998/R Peugeot 806 SLDT turbo diesel with 82,000 miles - one or two problems which I would be grateful for any advice on
1 - Gear change very loose - in particular 2nd gear is a bit of a pig and tends to crunch. Is my gear box on the way out or can poor linkages cause this? Has just had a new clutch installed from a Peugeot dealer.
2. Cannot get one of the rear sliding doors to open - when I pull the handle I can hear some movement at the back of the door where the catch is so the rod seems to be moving - makes no difference trying the door from the inside - anything I can do? Is it possible to remove the interior door trim with the door closed?
3. Rev counter drops to zero when you are not accelerating, or at idle. Maybe bad electrical connection between sensor and dash? Or bad sensor? Where is the sensor?
4. Quite a few of the dash lights are out - only backlit at one side so won't be able to see my speed on a dark night, also no dash indicators for lights being on so its hard to tell if lights are on full or dip. Is the dash easily removed to replace the bulbs?
But my biggest challenge is persuading my wife that she is able to drive it.......any ideas???
Finally, Haynes don't seem to do a manual - are there any alternatives?
Any help on any of the above is most appreciated.
Regards
Michael
1996 106 1.5d 107,000 miles
1996 306 1.9 TD 81,000 miles
1998 806 1.9 SLDT 82,000 miles
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

Okay, I have now fixed the door so that is one thing.
More details about the gears/clutch. The previous owner put it in for a new clutch as it didn't feel right - this was fitted by a genuine Peugeot dealer but they said it didn't really need done, it was more the cable, and that was replaced at the same time.
I then bought the car on eBay and got a transport company to drive it up here to Scotland, unfortunately it broke down after 10 miles - "clutch failure". Towed back to the original garage - diagnosis was one of the gearbox mount bolts had failed, the weight of engine and gearbox had stretched three more bolts, the engine and gearbox had started to separate and that then jammed the whole thing. All fixed but when the original owner picked it up it crunched into second on the way up and down through the gears. He took it back and they adjusted it a bit and said it the clutch was dragging a bit after the problem and should improve as the new clutch settles in.
The previous owner noticed an improvement but still not right. Car has now done about 600 miles since the work, but most on the motorway in 5th gear.
As stated it is still very stiff to get into second - no problems with any of the other gears - and it crunches sometimes if you try to do it too quickly.
The other thing I notice is that the "bite" of the clutch pedal is very near the floor. Maybe just in need of further adjustment?
Anyone know how to adjust it? - adjustment on 106 and 306 is no bother but looking into this 806 there is not adjustment nuts on the end of the clutch cable attached the lever coming out of the gearbox.
Regards
Michael
1996 106 1.5d 107,000 miles
1996 306 1.9 TD 81,000 miles
1998 806 1.9 SLDT 82,000 miles
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

Oooh - another 806 owner :-)
I don't really know about the clutch I'm afriad. I know how the gear cables connect in detail because I had to remodel mine, but I don't know why your is misbehaving.
The door trim comes off easily on the van variant - not sure how diferent the car version is...
3. The speedo sensor is on the final drive near the ground below the turbo. Not sure about the rev counter, but I'd guess it was on the flywheel somewhere.
4. You can get the cowling off with a couple of screws, then you can get at the binnacle itself. I haven't had this off yet.
Re manual. Peter Hayek does a manual for the van version (expert/scudo/dispatch/jumpy). This will cover a lot of 806 stuff. He may do an 806 version too. His books do cost about GBP16 each but are definately useful.
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

Engine off foot of clutch press to bottom of travel then let foot slip off and the pedal shoot back up with a thud. This will kick the auto adjuster into life and hopefully bring the bite up to the 1/3 from top position. Regards Peter
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

Thanks Wookey and Peter
Peter, thanks for that on the auto adjustment of the clutch - have tried it and the bite is about half way up which is an improvement, will try again tommorrow.
But still poor engagement in second gear, with it tending to crunch as you are slowing down and moving back down the gears. Intend to check the gear box oil at the weekend and maybe put some additive in it. The garage told the last owner it will get better as the new cluch beds in... is this likely or really just a brush off...?
Thanks Wookey for your comments, will try the other bits and pieces soon. Found the manual - it is Peter Russek manuals and found his web site at http://www.russek-manuals.co.uk/ and have ordered one straight already £15.50 including postage.
Quite pleased with the car, thought I got a good price (ebay), the only thing I don't like now is this second gear thing.
Regards
Michael
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

If second gear syncromesh is weak now , it will get worse as the car ages.
Clutch adjustments will not work or all other gears should crunch as well.
imo of course...sounds like the Peugeot garage are as competent as most are:-(
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Yes I agree with madasafish. If all the gears are ok apart from second, it sounds like a gearbox problem.
Is it that bad that you can't live with it? I should think a synchro repair might be a bit pricey.
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

Thanks for the replies so far - I have just had a chat with a local garage - he thinks first thing to check is the gear oil - he is not 100% sure but thinks it might need the red TQF gear oil, and if the garage at the last repair put in hypoid oil by mistake that could give all kinds of problems. Can anyone confirm what oil should be in this box?? - 1998/R 806 1.9SLDT.
If it is not the oil, then he also suspects a faulty syncro hub for second gear. But maybe there was too much pressure on the input shaft when the gearbox started to come away and so there could be more problems encountered when it is stripped down - he suggests maybe better off simply to swap in a second hand unit.
Would be very grateful if someone could confirm what gear oil should be in there.
Thanks
Michael