BX ticking loud while holding clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sketch
My Cars:

BX ticking loud while holding clutch

Post by sketch »

Hi Citroen experts,
I've bought myself a nice BX 1.9 diesel about two months ago.
Yesterday it started to make a very loud ticking noise when the clutch is fully pressed down. If I only push the clutch-pedal halfway the ticking is much weaker and if I leave the engine running in neutral gear (with the clutch-pedal up) nothing unusual is heard.
The clutch does not seem to be slipping although I'm not a clutch-expert at all. My question: what can be the problem?
Thank you in advance,
Tom
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

If you press the clutch and raise the revs, does the ticking get faster? (in line with the engine speed)
It sounds like you either have a release bearing that is beginning to break up, or one of the diaphragm fingers is broken. Either way it sounds like a box-off job.
sketch
My Cars:

Post by sketch »

When the engine revs up, the ticking gets faster in line with engine speed, but not much louder.
How can you break such a diaphragm finger? crappy gear-changing or old-age ?
Thanks, Tom
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

old age, poor quality materials in manufacture, fatigue due to town driving and frequent clutch operation, etc.etc. Who knows? I'm quite sure that the moment you take the box off the problem will reveal itself.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

usuly worn through presures plate diaphragm fingers are down to wrongly adjusted clutch,so preload is wrong,this is what VALIO wrote in there report to me when i sent clutch back that had faild prematurly regards malcolm
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Or old age. Generally the Diesels need clutches at 80-100,000 miles. They get heavier and break cables, irrespective of VALEO's fob-off, the fingers wear out.
sketch
My Cars:

Post by sketch »

I've found myself a guy that did box jobs before. Anything I should pay special attention to? Do I need special tools?
Thanks, Tom
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My '94 did 149k miles on the original clutch, but that was mostly motorway and dual carriageway driving. The current car had done 55k of town driving before I bought it and the synchomesh isn't as good as the older higher mileage car.